X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Shadow Halloween Poncho

I'm giving the reigns to my pal Matt today, for years, Matt has stepped in during the month of October and given us a peek at some of the more amazing things in this collection, so i leave you in gifted hands-Brain

This is a continuation of the previous post I had done in which I showed the multiple variations of Halloween costumes released by Collegeville for The Shadow!

This version I have here may be my favorite of the lot. It is the Shadow poncho costume.

Here is a shot of him in the box. Although the box does not mention that it is a poncho on the outside, it does say "one size fits all" which is consistent. It also mentions that it has "reflective spots". I wonder if they are still included in the box?

As I open up the box, it becomes clear that this costume has never been removed. It is still sealed inside the bag.

The mask is still the same children's mask, intended for a smaller head, in which the red scarf is molded into the actual sculpture of the mask-- this is in contrast to the adult size masks in which the scarf was a separate piece of either rayon or vinyl.

I have carefully unfolded the poncho here so you can see the marvelous artwork. This red, black, and gold coloring is just so striking, and perfect for this character.

Look at the fury in that angry shadow face.

The artwork for this poncho is obviously taken from the famous coloring book, and was featured on multiple items of the Shadow in the 1970s, including the bagatelle game, and the box art for some of the smaller vehicles.

Poncho costumes were a good option for kids who unfortunately had to experience the letdown of a rainy Halloween night.

Oh, and look! The reflective circular stickers are still here.

Happy Halloween. Expect some more Shadow Merchandise in this blog soon ?

More Shadow Fun! (Also by Matt)

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for sharing this pristine item. I'm a big fan of The Shadow and the art is indeed striking. I've enjoyed the Plaid Stallions Shadow gallery many times.

I've always hoped FTC might do a silver Mego Batmobile repro, because....
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Beautiful. That's about as minty as it gets.
      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

What brought on the resurgence of Shadow merchandise in the 70s? I'm guessing many kids were probably unaware of the character at the time because there really wasn't any contemporaneous cartoons or comics. It's not the same as Tarzan, Flash Gordon and Lone Ranger being merchandised. They all had cartoons and older TV shows still airing in syndication.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

That's gorgeous! Love the art!

What brought on the resurgence of Shadow merchandise in the 70s?
          Well, apparently in the early 70s (right before my time) there was a wave of nostalgia for 30s pop culture. Doc Savage (at Marvel) and the Shadow (at DC) came back to the comics, and Savage got a movie. The Shadow did appear twice in the pages of Batman, so maybe him having a DC comic and briefly being lumped in with the DC super heroes made him "merchandiseable" for a bit. That's just a theory.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Very cool, thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢