Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rare LJN Dungeons and Dragons toy commercials.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Rare LJN Dungeons and Dragons toy commercials.

I do not remember seeing these at all! Look at those prototypes!

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

With exclusive animation. Wowzers!

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

cool. I don't remember these commercials either

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I'm surprised this didn't get more interest. I was super into D&D at the time and collected the LJN figures and had never seen these commercials before. A real cool piece of toy history.
        Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 4, '19, 8:59 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

I remember the first one but not the one with the animation. I also remember one showing off the Fang Fortress. I remember a kid closing the walls in on Strongheart. I always wanted that playset. This was a Golden Age.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i loved and collected this line too. but I also never got the fortress. always wanted it though.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I was into those (I had a very brief disasterous flirtation with role play at the time) but I don't remember these commercials. I wonder if the "Satanic Panic" over D&D put the kibosh on these early?
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                I wonder if the "Satanic Panic" over D&D put the kibosh on these early?
                It's certainly possible. I do remember the TSR game commercials but do not remember these at all. I didn't even know they existed or had shown LJN toy commercials on TV. Which is strange because I was really into both the game and the toys. I had wondered and searched for years if LJN AD&D commercials existed. I came across these by accident. It's mind blowing.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

Wow! Amazing for sure.
                  The dragon's head turns!
                  Now they need a commercial for the Umber Hulk.
                  No wonder LJN D&D stood out in the store, the advertisements were hidden, and the toys were so different than anything else.
                  Come to think of it, I don't think that I ever saw LJN D&D in a store catalog, or in any toy store ads, or newspaper ads.
                  I think it all was hidden because of the 'Satantic Rumors' and not because of the popularity of the products. Thanks very much!

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    I'm surprised this didn't get more interest. I was super into D&D at the time and collected the LJN figures and had never seen these commercials before. A real cool piece of toy history.
                    My friends and I were deep into D&D, but I honestly don't remember these LJN figures. The only figures we collected were the small lead ones, to enhance game-play. Painting them was half the fun (no pun intended). I still remember the beautiful artwork on the boxes and the sectional cut-out foam that held them in place.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

I do remember the Grenadier minis. Had a couple sets of them. They were pretty much it for fantasy figures until the MOTU craze hit. I'm actually a bit surprised you were unaware of the LJN figures. I remember buying them at Kaybee, Kmart and TRU. They seemed to be fairly widely distributed.

Comment

• J.B.
                        Guild Navigator
                        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        I'm actually a bit surprised you were unaware of the LJN figures.
                        The only LJN Figures I've ever been aware of involve Sapho, a Gom Jabbar, Hunter/Seekers and Spice Mining.
                        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

Love them! The commercials are great, especially the one with the animation. I have most of the figures (plus I made a few customs of figures they didn't produce) and the Fortress of Fangs. It's such a cool line of toys.

Dana
                          Last edited by danadoll; Mar 26, '23, 5:03 AM.
                          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Godzilla
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 3, 2002

That animation would have sold me back in the day.
                            Mortui Vivos Docent
                            The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

I was never into D&D, but I had one of the figures from this line and really liked it. LIN’s D&D figure designs seemed to be very well executed.

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎