X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Muhammad Ali--what the!?

I was disassembling an Ali figure for a custom, and I discovered that the entire figure has been painted a darker brown. It was originally a caramel color, perhaps the same as Tootie?
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 2, '19, 10:10 PM. Reason: clarification
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

wow, that will not be good for joint wear.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, it's noticeable immediately when posed.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I took apart an Ali figure, and I don't think mine was painted.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          I took apart an Ali figure, and I don't think mine was painted.
          Weren't you making a 4-arm fighter at megomeet? You would have noticed any additional paint layer there.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I was disassembling an Ali figure for a custom, and I discovered that the entire figure and head have been painted a darker brown. It was originally a caramel color, perhaps the same as Tootie?
            I'm calling an Austin Hough - this thread is useless without pictures! I know you never post pics of your customs, but this is like parts man. I'll post it for you if it helps. I bought a bazillion of those Ali figures on clearance for customs, and I didn't think any were painted. I'm afraid to look now.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Ok, Emce just for you I will ask my better half to take pix and I will mail them to you. (All I have is my old crappy phone, I couldn't take decent pix even if I knew what I was doing.)

The whole figure is sprayed a matte milk chocolate brown and underneath it's shiny caramel vinyl. It's a Twix Ali.

EDIT: The head is a darker brown, but has a dusting of the brown paint on it. Overspray? I wonder if the head was molded in a darker brown and then the factory realized the body color didn't match and was corrected with a paint job? The paint seems durable.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 2, '19, 8:54 PM.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

I recently dressed my Ali figure as a Starfleet Security Guard and didn't notice anything unusual with the figure.

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

I am looking at one of my Ali's right now and the body isn't painted. Odd.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Now I want your Ali figure!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^lol I'm sure we can work something out.

Comment

• scott metzger
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 9, 2007

I made a OMBC figure out of one of the Ali's, as well as disassembled one of the bodies to add Trek legs. I'm sure mine weren't painted. An interesting variant here; wonder how many were made like this?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎