X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Murder by Death (1976)

When I was a kid, I loved the movie "Murder by Death" (even though some of the references went right over my head)... but I haven't watched it in 30 years. It has a great cast. Anyone watched it recently? Does it hold up?

• VintageJoe70
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 12, 2016

I just rewatched it a few months ago, and it definitely holds up...to me anyway...The campiness and the all out humor, along with the basic story line, make it for me.....wont give anything away but if anyone hasn't seen it, you really need to...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• VintageJoe70
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 12, 2016

I was 8 when it came out....thought it came out later than 1976...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

One of my favorites, I have it on dvd. I find most of it awfully funny, particularly Capote & Coco.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Just realized Eileen Brennan was in this AND clue

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Watched it as an adult, but still probably st least 10 years ago. I remember it being very clever. Definitely held up.

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

Love that movie!
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• JWLJN
                Veteran Member
                • May 7, 2013

One of my all-time favorites. It finally received a Blu-Ray last year but without any significant extras. Many were hoping for deleted scenes to be included. Four of them were on an ABC-TV showing decades ago and can be seen (taped from that airing) on YouTube.

Alec Guinness was filming this while reading the script for the role he would forever be remembered for, as much as he probably didn’t like that.

-J\/\/
                http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Interesting about the deleted scenes, I only recall the Holmes & Watson cameo.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TomStrong
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2011

It’s one of my family’s favorites! We love it. It’s in our regular rotation.

Comment

• Allie Fox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 1, 2009

It holds up great for us that saw it either first run at the picture show or when it debuted on cable. But I think most kids and older kids (read: millennials) wouldn't quite understand the "inside humor" of the characters.
                      I'm pretty sure we were all familiar with the character pastiches and who they represented; Charlie Chan, Nick and Nora, Sam Spade, Poirot...with the exception of maybe Poirot, I don't think this generation would recognize any of the parody.

That said... even not knowing. It's still a fun picture with a great mystery story and a lot of laughs.
                      If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 12, 2016

For anyone who has never seen it or knows anything about it, this would be a great, funny whodunit movie...I love these where you have a whole cast of suspects and a surprise ending..

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎