X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Plaid Stallions Halloween Shopping Guide

It's October, my favourite time of the year and it's not just because my best colour is brown. Nope, I love Halloween more than any other holiday and i don't even like Candy all that much.

I am however, a complete rube for the monster and horror-themed merchandise, so here are some of the things that put a twinkle in my eye and total stress on my bank account:

Something Weird Spook Show Spectacular A Go-Go: I love Something Weird Video, Vinyl Records and Spook Shows. This was made for me, I just hope it gets here in time for Halloween.

Frankenstein Tiki Mug I have a real fondness for Tiki bars although it's hindered by non-fondness for anything sweet that involves liquor. There is a whole series of Universal Monsters Tikis out there right now that are tasking me. It's just weird to drink beer out of these things...

GODZILLA: THE SHOWA-ERA FILMS, 1954–1975 The Criterion Collection: This is pretty much my childhood in one little package, a deluxe set of cleaned up Godzilla movies from the "Showa Era" (AKA the UHF years) with tons of extras and little perks. Even though this is a little pricy, it's also like the last Godzilla set I'll ever buy.

Universal Monsters Paper People by Super 7- Seriously Super 7 is killing it this year with the Universal Monsters but of all the great stuff on their site (and you should check it out) I'm most in love with this tribute to the 1970s Our Ways Studios Jointed Giants.

Zombie Action Figure Fulci's Zombie is one of my favourite horror movies and this licensed figure coming out from Pallbearer Press and Distinctive Dummies is just all kinds of awesome. i was lucky enough to score their Coffin Joe figure before it sold out and let me tell you, it's glorious. Do not sit on the fence on this one because it will sell out and quick.

Mego Horror Wave 7 Figures: As most readers of PS would know, I'm a ginormous Mego nerd and they've really been knocking it out of the park with Horror stuff lately. I'm especially fond of Wave 7's Mummy and Phantom of the Opera which were created by some great people I know. There really is no bad figure in this series to be honest.

Super 7 Creature Beach Towel- Yeah I want this too, although I'd also like a whole series of the monster surfing. I remember that "Frankenstein goes surfing" was a throwaway gag movie name on "Gilligan's Island" and I was six and thought it was a real movie.

Universal Monsters Bend Ems- Apparantly these throw back to the early 1990s Bend Ems are popping up at Walgreens, I don't live anywhere near of one those, so this photo and article links to Dinosaur Dracula's blog, they know more than i do on the subject.

I'd really like to know what other cool stuff you've found this year, leave me a comment here or on our facebook group Pod Stallions so i can hopefully do a part two this month.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Trick-or-Treat Studios has these amazing retro Halloween die-cut decorations that look like they were made in the 1970's featuring all your favorite classic monsters and films!

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Awesome, those are terrific.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

So much awesome stuff there, so of which I knew nothing about!

A wonderful listener to our podcasts out of the blue sent me a WHOLE SET of those Monster Tikis! They are wonderful. I have them proudly on display in our living room for Halloween!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Love that tiki mug !!!

Reminds me of my mom's old Japanese chachki collection

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Enyawd, those are rad!

Brian, I totally want that Criterion Godzilla collection.

On the topic of jointed Frankensteins, I'm of the mind that one can never have too many. But I also am of the mind of...why not have the best?

It's only $26.

And who wouldn't love giant versions of the vintage Ben Cooper masks, repurposed as wall decor?

Last edited by B-Lister; Oct 1, '19, 6:02 PM.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

I love that creature bucket from Super7.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by B-Lister
                Enyawd, those are rad!

Brian, I totally want that Criterion Godzilla collection.

On the topic of jointed Frankensteins, I'm of the mind that one can never have too many. But I also am of the mind of...why not have the best?

It's only $26.

And who wouldn't love giant versions of the vintage Ben Cooper masks, repurposed as wall decor?

https://www.retroagogo.com/categorie...astic-plastic/
                I have an issue of Reminisce magazine that has a whole article sent in by a reader that had the big Frank wall hanging back in the 60s....and has or had the original artwork from the artist
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 12, 2016

I wish they'd reissue those masks and the costumes in wearable, adult sizes in the retro box and all...
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

I'd like to make one vintage Halloween related item in October. Maybe a boxed Ben Cooper Batman costume.

Comment

• Spawn67
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 14, 2009

Check out Vintage Spooky if your into old school designs with a modern twist. My favorite go to for Halloween decorations (with more being added all the time). The frankenstien, godzilla, bigfoot and the with designs are some of my favorites.

Shop Vintage Style Halloween and Monster products by Vintagespookycompany located in Pawling, New York. Speedy replies! Has a history of replying to messages quickly. Rave reviews! Average review rating is 4.8 or higher

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

That Zilla is tight.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Check out Vintage Spooky if your into old school designs with a modern twist. My favorite go to for Halloween decorations (with more being added all the time). The frankenstien, godzilla, bigfoot and the with designs are some of my favorites.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Vintagespookycompany
                          Oh man, that's some gorgeous stuff!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Really loving this thread so far.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

this is what i was totally hoping for.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎