• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

Once upon a time in hollywood

Who has seen it?

I haven't gone yet, cause it's a Tarantino film and I know it's gonna have Ultra-Violence in it.

My question is

on a scale of 1-10 how violent is it???
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

I'd say it's as violent as any of Tarantino's films. I won't say more because of spoilers, but keep in mind this movie deals with the Manson Family murders, right?

I'd say the violence level in Inglourious Basterds is probably a good reference.
    Last edited by Brazoo; Sep 26, '19, 2:30 PM.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
      Who has seen it?

I haven't gone yet, cause it's a Tarantino film and I know it's gonna have Ultra-Violence in it.

My question is

on a scale of 1-10 how violent is it???
      "Oh...not a fan of the ol' Ultra Violence, are you?"

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I'd say the Ultra-Violence level (when it finally commences) is about six and a half.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Not violent at all. It’s actually very similar to a Brady Bunch episode.
          sigpic

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
            Not violent at all. It’s actually very similar to a Brady Bunch episode.

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

To be honest, it's less violent than most of his films. I'd even put Inglourious Basterds as more violent.

Most of the violence is in the third act, and at the very end of the third act. There is a fight in the second act (not the Bruce Lee fight) that actually leads to the violence in the third, but I felt the violence was pretty subdued considering some of his other films (Django, for instance).

It is, in my opinion, his LEAST violent film.

The brilliance is in the anticipation. You can feel it building and it becomes the entire experience. When it plays out, and not in a manner in which you think, it's quite satisfying.

The approach in this one was subtle, it means more when you know the true story of the Manson murders, but it is a good film nonetheless.
              Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 26, '19, 4:47 PM.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

I always find the violence in QT's movies to be a bit cartoon-ish, like what one would see in an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. It's part of his style and I've always thought it works in his movies.

I've seen the movie three times because, to me, it's like going to a museum in that it has a feel like it is curated and there is a lot to take in. The pacing is very slow, the payoff is big and I am STILL "unpacking" the connections and layers that QT worked into the movie.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by B-Lister
                  To be honest, it's less violent than most of his films. I'd even put Inglourious Basterds as more violent.

Most of the violence is in the third act, and at the very end of the third act. There is a fight in the second act (not the Bruce Lee fight) that actually leads to the violence in the third, but I felt the violence was pretty subdued considering some of his other films (Django, for instance).

It is, in my opinion, his LEAST violent film.

The brilliance is in the anticipation. You can feel it building and it becomes the entire experience. When it plays out, and not in a manner in which you think, it's quite satisfying.

The approach in this one was subtle, it means more when you know the true story of the Manson murders, but it is a good film nonetheless.

Thank you, that's what I was waiting to hear/read!

AND..

this film is more violent than JACKIE BROWN???? That to me is his least violent film and my fave of his!

Cheers!

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by J.B.
                    "Oh...not a fan of the ol' Ultra Violence, are you?"

honestly, no.

I grew up around a lot of violence, and by that not gun violence. But lots of **** kicking! And sadly I think that contributed to my temper as in my teens and early 20's I went off like a cannon!!

unlike today, when people settle their differences with a gun, we used to go out to a ****en park and we would ****en fight!

think of the "WARRIORS" circa 1979, that type of crap,

and that's the way it was with me, had to learn to fight when i was 7-8 years old

and ya know something...

I never wanted it that way..

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by Makernaut
                      …I've seen the movie three times because, to me, it's like going to a museum in that it has a feel like it is curated and there is a lot to take in. The pacing is very slow, the payoff is big and I am STILL "unpacking" the connections and layers that QT worked into the movie.
                      Indeed, if you appreciate real SPFX, it's definitely a mulitipleX-must-watch movie… classic homage locations, hand-painted set pieces, use of miniatures, composite effects, etc., just supercool film-making in this day and age. As others have mentioned, the run-up tension that builds throughout is incredibly effective.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎