• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Comic Book TV: Stumptown

Stumptown tv poster 2.jpg
    On ABC tonight they aired Stumptown. It deals with Dex Parios (Cobie Smulders)a retired army vet throwing dice trying to earn a living for her brother Ansel and herself but has to work off her debt by finding the gambling owner grandchild.

It based on the comic book that was released by Oni Press and written by Greg Rucka in which Dex is retired Army but already has he P.I. license and again has to work off her gambling debt by finding the owners granddaughter. The major difference is in the book she is a lesbian. The book didn't make that a central focus but it was there. Her (ex) partner in the police was Detective Hoffman.

In the show Dex is straight and Detective Hoffman is a man. Other than that the show seems to alright, it just irks me that they take a strong lesbian characters and make them straight.
    Stumptown TPB 1.jpgHoffeman.jpg
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

That's not good, straightening an LGBTQ character is a pretty crap idea, since we have so few as it is.

Dana
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Its on the Mouse's channel so expect it.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

She was bi in the book, not a lesbian, and in this week's episode they referred to her having a relationship with a woman in the past, so she's bi on the show too.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I read every issue before the series premiere and it only dealt with her female campaigns.

I just read an interview where they are going to show more of the fact that she is bisexual and that is a good thing.

My problem is her cop partner who they change from female to male. All in all the comic book was women driven and that would have set the show apart from the other cop shows.

(Sorry if I misspell or put wrong words In, using phone while taking nephew to the museum/aquarium/fair today)
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by monitor_ep
            I read every issue before the series premiere and it only dealt with her female campaigns.

I just read an interview where they are going to show more of the fact that she is bisexual and that is a good thing.

My problem is her cop partner who they change from female to male. All in all the comic book was women driven and that would have set the show apart from the other cop shows.

(Sorry if I misspell or put wrong words In, using phone while taking nephew to the museum/aquarium/fair today)
            Well since Greg Rucka and both of the series' the artists are executive producers on the show, and was in on it/approved when they initiated these changes during the casting/writing room phase of the show's development, I am going to just accept it since it is their creation and if they are ok with the changes, I am not going to complain. And it was Rucka, who created the character, who has always said she was bi in interviews or in articles about the series, so I am going to go with he knows the character better than I do since he created her.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎