X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: The Mighty Crusaders by Remco

This week we talk about my obsession with the Mighty Crusaders toys by Remco, no not the action figures themselves (not a big fan) but the amazing AHI rack toys that came out with them. They're hard to find but that's what makes it so fun!

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

PlaidStallions Facebook Page

Plaidstallions facebook group
    The official discussion group for the Pod Stallions podcast and the Plaid Stallions website. Group Rules- Pretty much anything that we discuss in the show is up for grabs, 70s fashion, toys,...

Twitter & Instagram: @plaidstallions

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I do remember these, but only in the dreaded action figure form. I know I had one of them and were they ever weird. I think that he was quickly set aside as he couldn’t be incorporated with my other action figures. I have no idea why I wanted it.

Now that I see them, I do like some of the other merchandise, especially the parachutists and gliders.

Until today, I had no idea that they were based on a comic.

Great video as per usual, Brian.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I enjoyed this video, seeing the ancillary items. I have a full set of the figures, out of being a fan and an odd, desperate sort of nostalgia. Weird and chunky as they are, I don't hate them. I recall wanting The Fly, though.

Usually with your videos, I learn something--in this one, the MC digests were a revelation. I need to seek those out.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        I have a full set of the figures, out of being a fan and an odd, desperate sort of nostalgia. Weird and chunky as they are, I don't hate them.
        They definitely have that Remco borderline bootleg charm about them and you have to admire their chutzpah of trying to knock off both Secret Wars (the shields) and Super Powers (punching action) gimmicks.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
          They definitely have that Remco borderline bootleg charm about them and you have to admire their chutzpah of trying to knock off both Secret Wars (the shields) and Super Powers (punching action) gimmicks.
          Well put in regard to Remco’s borderline bootleg feel, from the 80s. I can recall thinking that about their wrestling figures back then, even though they weren’t bootlegs at all.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Brian, I meant to ask above: For the MC rack toys, were The Web and The Shield the only characters featured? The proposed Sting parachutist looks rather cool.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

I remember when these showed up at K-Mart back in the day, the figures were just awful so that made me not look at them again. For some reason I do not remember the rack toys.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Brian, I meant to ask above: For the MC rack toys, were The Web and The Shield the only characters featured? The proposed Sting parachutist looks rather cool.
                Some Sting merchandise, like the helicopter, actually exists so I really wouldn't discount the thought that all this stuff got made. I'd kill for a Shield parachutist myself.

After making this video it really amuses me how many folks have remarked: "Oh they were comic characters?"
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Great video. I knew the characters from a few issues of Mighty Crusaders I had. So when I walked into Dollar General (that's the only place I ever saw them), I had to buy the action figures. I think I had everyone but the Buzzard at one time. I did incorporate them into my Super Powers/Secret Wars play. Sometimes they were themselves, other times the Shield was Steel from the current Justice League Detroit series, and the Fox was Black Panther.

One aspect of the figures I found fun at the time was the ease of swapping parts. You could make a composite figure with different arms and legs easily. The chunky design is WEIRD and almost seems like someone trying to do a Kirby aesthetic and failing. Or maybe it's a precursor to those odd, chunky Dick Tracy figures?

I never knew about the Rack Toys until you began posting about them, Brian. I would have loved to have seen these old throwbacks to the AHI toys I owned, as I was already nostalgic for them by 1985. But I never recall seeing these at all.

I hope you find the Shield parachutist one day. Speaking of which, I would love to see a close-up of that leaping Shield drawing from the package. It almost looks Gil Kane-like from here. I spotted Ditko on those cardbacks back in the day, but it's wild to think there could be more merchandise out there with his art plastered all over it.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎