X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Micronauts film reboot gets director

Dean DeBlois, creator of How to Train Your Dragon has signed on to Hasbro's feature film Micronauts reboot as writer/director https://www.newsarama.com/47055-micr...IxCDEHhdtkyi1Q

Hasbro's Micronauts toyline will receive a feature film reboot from How To Train Your Dragon filmmaker Dean DeBlois, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

DeBlois will write and direct Micronauts, based on the 1970s toyline, which in turn was based on a Japanese toyline called Microman. The toys later spawned a Marvel comic book.

The original story centered on a group of freedom fighters in a subatomic kingdom, however THR describes the new story as focusing on "intergalactic explorers."

A previous script from Deadpool writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick was previously commissioned through J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions. DeBlois' film will be produced through Hasbro's Allspark Productions.

Hasbro has set Micronauts for a June 4, 2021 theatrical release.
    -M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • k2
    Career Member
    • Sep 12, 2007

well this will be exiting, 2 year wait

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

So, they're taking the "micro" out of the Micronauts.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

So is this going to be animated? Or just a CGI-fest like Transformers...

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Live action, apparently. Also sounds like he is a busy guy:

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

I think they might be getting their projects mixed up. there's a Micronauts cartoon coming out.

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by scott metzger
              I think they might be getting their projects mixed up. there's a Micronauts cartoon coming out.
              https://twitter.com/hashtag/micronauts?lang=en
              The animated series was announced around the time that Hasbro released the SDCC exclusive Micronauts set featuring the 3 figures and cardboard replica Astro Station. It was supposed to be released in 2019 or so and never saw the light of day, even though it was already in production supposedly. Whether they have decided to try again with the animated series or not I am not sure, but sometime after they announced the (still unseen) animated series they also announced a feature film and the announcement of Dean DeBlois is tied to that production, not the animated series.

Here's the concept art they released when they announced the animated series...

This is from an article 2 years ago on the animated series:

Hasbro is looking to introduce a whole new generation to Micronauts with a new animated series that they are launching in 2019. Micronauts is based on a Japanese toy line and was created by Mega in 1976. They manufactured the toy line through 1980.

Hasbro is also developing a live-action film based on Micronauts with Paramount Pictures. That movie is set to be released on October 16th, 2020, so this animated series will serve as a way to prime the pump and help build an audience for the film.
              and this is form the catalog Hasbro released outlining future projects about the Micronauts animated series:

"When fate brings an unlikely team of alien space explorers to earth in pursuit of the evil Baron Karza, they make a shocking discovery - on our world they are the size of action figures!" explains a Hasbro marketing kit. "The Micronauts are small heroes in a big world but the stakes are higher than ever as their miniaturized size presents dangerous obstacles at every turn. Fortunately, they forge an alliance with teenager Cameron Ruck, who will join them in their pursuit of justice. Although the Micronauts are small in stature, their bravery and adventurous spirits remain larger than life."
              So there has been some changes in Hasbro's approach since then.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• k2
                Career Member
                • Sep 12, 2007

man, not to be a bummer, but i hate that art

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by k2
                  man, not to be a bummer, but i hate that art
                  Yeah, I make it a point to try and NOT pre-judge these projects. I'm more worried about the spirit of something rather than perfectly mirroring the source material.

That said, I hate this artwork.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Actually good news there. Nothing I saw about the animated project felt right, art or story.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎