• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Horror icon Sid Haig, dies at 80

Nick Romano Entertainment Weekly

In a statement shared on the actor’s Instagram account, wife Susan L. Oberg wrote, “My light, my heart, my true love, my King, the other half of my soul, Sidney, passed from this realm on to the next. He has returned to the Universe, a shining star in her heavens. He was my angel, my husband, my best friend and always will be.”

“He adored his family, his friends and his fans,” she continued. “This came as a shock to all of us. We, as a family, are asking that our privacy and time to mourn be respected.”

Earlier this month, Oberg wrote on Haig’s Instagram that her husband had been in an accident, but didn’t go into specifics. On Sep. 13, she updated the now-deleted comment by stating Haig was “winning the fight” after taking a “nasty spill.”

Haig got his start in horror with 1967’s Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told. He was then cast in Rob Zombie’s House of 1,000 Corpses as Captain Spaulding and its sequel The Devil’s Rejects. Haig was meant to have a larger role in this fall’s third installment, 3 From Hell, but Zombie told EW that health issues prevented him from doing so.

“The movie that I prepped to make, and was getting ready to start shooting, it was Captain Spaulding, Otis, and Baby, the three originals,” Zombie said. “But three weeks out from shooting, I got a call from Sid Haig. He had been in the hospital, and he had just had surgery, and he was now recovering in a rehabilitation facility. I’m like, holy sh—, this is a serious business. So, I went to see him, and he had changed drastically from the last time I saw him. Because Sid, he’s big and burly, and now he’s tiny as a skeleton. So, I was like, oh man. I kind of realized, yeah, he’s in rough shape.”

Knowing how important it was to include Haig in the film, the director added, “Lionsgate was fine with me sort of sneaking him in one day to shoot as much as I could. It was on me to make sure that nothing went wrong. So I got him in, I shot everything I could shoot.”

Haig also appeared in Quentin Tarantino’s Jackie Brown and would later re-team with the filmmaker on Kill Bill, Vol. 2.

Other credits to Haig’s name include Night of the Living Dead 3D, 2007’s Halloween, The Lords of Salem, and Bone Tamahawk.

Rosario Dawson, who filmed a deleted scene in The Devil’s Rejects, wrote in the comments to Oberg’s Instagram post, “Oh! Dear Sid. You will be missed beloved. Grateful to have met and worked with you. What a talent and energy graced this earth. Blessings and love to your adored family.”

In his own post, Zombie simply wrote, “Horray for Captain Spaulding. Gone but not forgotten.”
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

Sad news. Spider Baby (1968) is one of my all time favorite films. RIP, Sid.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Aw man, sad to hear. I also fondly recall him from Jason of Star Command. RIP.

He was also on Batman as one of King Tut's henchmen.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

R.I.P.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Great career !!!

From classic Star Trek to today

Loved him as Captain Spaulding

He made Night of the Living Dead 3D watchable

RIP

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Great career! He's been is SO many movies and TV shows I've enjoyed over the years. One of the most recognizable character actors in the game.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I was always happy when he popped up in something. I even bought the Neca Captain Spaulding figure even though I’m not a big fan of those movies.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

RIP Mr. Haig--Royal Apothecary, No-Face, Dragos and so many more. A great character actor.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

HOUSE of 1000 Corpses CAPTAIN SPAULDING 8” RETRO Clothed Action Figure.jpgSid Haig in Batman 66.jpgSid Haig 3.jpgSid Haig 2.jpgSid Haig 1.jpg

I meet Sid while doing conventions several years back, we would talk about Hollywood the good and bad. He was in so many tv shows and meet so many people. He did have a good career. Rest easy Sid!
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I met Sid a few years ago. We didn't talk film. We shared a cultural connection, so that's how I introduced myself. He jumped out of his seat he was so excited. it was like meeting a cousin. I regret not staying in touch with him. RIP Sid.

I was watching Diamonds Are Forever and there he was as a gangster. I had no idea. I realized I hadn't thought of him in sometime and was started looking to see what he was up to. Felt like an omen.
                    Last edited by hedrap; Sep 24, '19, 8:51 AM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

ReMego Svengoolie & ReMego Sid Haig

Svengoolie & Sid Haig.jpg

Took longer than I thought to find where I had packed away Sid figure and once I did my nephew came back down for the week so...Here is ReMego Svengoolie as he runs into ReMego Sid Haig as Captain Spaulding.

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡