Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

ST:TMP again on the big screen

I saw ST:TMP in the theatre this past Wednesday as part of the 40th anniversary. I will admit that it has never been one of my favorite Star Trek movies. I was in the 8th grade when it first came out in 1979, I remember the excitement I felt going to see it. Then afterwards I was like, "Unhh?". At the time I did not understand the context of the ending to the movie. Also, some of the scenes did not make sense, for example there were a couple of times that Dr. McCoy would show up on the bridge, look around and then leave. Also when Kirk meets with Spock and McCoy to find out why Spock has came aboard, Spock at first speaks in monosyllables, but then after he sits down and starts to explain why he is there, he speaks more normal, not flat toned. Over the last several years I have rewatched it several times, both the original version and the director's cut. So before going to see it in the theatre, I told myself to forget about the things that bugged me about it before and just enjoy it. It was a delightful experience. Sure you could see the special effects mistakes, but you could also see the brilliant little acting nuances by the cast. William Shatner gets blamed for overacting in this movie, but there are really only a couple scenes he does this. What I noticed was how he and several other actors were able to convey meaning of scenes just with their eyes. In the scene right after the transporter malfunction, it looks as though Kirk has tears welling up in his eyes. I never noticed that watching it on tv. There are other things I could mention, but the bottom line is that I have a new appreciation for this movie and the story they were trying to present. The one thing I have always enjoyed is the music, Jerry Goldsmith nailed it with the score. The Human Adventure Is Just Beginning.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

the woman killed in the transporter accident was Kirk's ex wife. they cut that bit out of the movie, but it explained the tears

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I just rewatched for the first time since I saw it as a kid, the what I thought of as the Next Generation theme showing up jarred me a bit. But I did like it a lot more as an old guy.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

STTMP is one of my favorite Trek movies. It’s a mixture of Trek and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I loved it the first time I saw it on the silver screen to today.
        sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I have always liked it as well. it's pure Trek. the spirit of exploration and adventure is all there. it's just a little slow moving and they had way to many exterior shots of the ship, which is why I think a lot of people don't like it

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Very cool!

TMP is pretty amazing.

I had the original T-shirt for it.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Even though I've seen TMP back in the day in the theatre my favorite version is the added footage TV/VHS version.

BTW, does anyone know what V'GER looks like without it's cloud cover ?

Check this out

m

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

It's my second favourite ST movie.
                Although I was admittedly slightly underwhelmed by it as a kid, I've come to appreciate it a lot more over the decades.
                And I really like Robert Wise's director's cut.
                (Hopefully one day there'll be a special edition blu-ray release containing the theatrical cut, the director's cut and the network TV version.)
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I don't remekber where I saw it but there is a rumor that the Director's Cut might be getting a Blu-Ray release. Apparently some or all of the special effects created for this version would have to be redone and the potential cost is what prevented any previous Blu-Ray release. Now it seems it might be worth spending the money but it's not likely to be done in time for the movie's 40th Anniversary.

Like I said it's just a rumor.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎