Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The Langella film was my introduction to the character, and then the Filmation version had me hooked. There was a confluence for me of that film, the cartoon, a TV series with Henry Darrow and the Hamilton parody in the early eighties that made me a fan. From there I moved on to the Regher series and the great Tyrone Power version, and then Banderas. Zorro's almost as evergreen as Batman!

I really enjoyed the Isabel Allende novel, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Great video, and I appreciate knowing more about this figure. I think I had forgotten it was based on the Disney version, which is my favorite. I got hooked on it when we first got cable in 1984. The Disney Channel was constantly airing it back then. I wish Mego had used a head sculpt that looked more like Guy Williams (Bruce Wayne with a mustache?), but still, it's wonderful to know it still existed. I know the show was HUGE down in Latin America for years, and Guy Williams moved there and was a national hero in his later years.

I vaguely recall the Langella Zorro. Oddly enough, I think I saw it on the same channel, around the same time as when I first watch Langella's Dracula. Both are incredibly underrated.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I never had the Disney Channel when it was really the Disney channel *sigh*.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Emgee
          • May 5, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
          Someone on Youtube brought both those points up as well, makes perfect sense now.
          I checked out the guys comments on YOU TUBE too and they do indeed concur with my memories as well which is nice to see. The power of the internet opening up the whole world to discussion of this sort of trivial nonsense but which of course means much to guys like us. I actually doubt the BBC had a direct influence on getting the figure made as they would have gained noting financial from it. However what I am sure of is that A&R guys at PALITOY would have been scouring around for potential 'hot properties' to exploit and having seen the regular screening and popularity of the old ZORRO show thought "Heck why not let's see how it goes". However I don't recall them being sold widely in my area at time of screening and my only recollection of them was perhaps the very late 1970s and seeing a whole stack of them in a 'Bargain Bin' in the front of a store in a street market. Ironic given the value and popularity of the figure now. Great thread and film too though.

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

Don't forget Palitoy also released that gorgeous two pack of Starsky and Hutch in Solid illustrated Box.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by clemso
              Don't forget Palitoy also released that gorgeous two pack of Starsky and Hutch in Solid illustrated Box.
              I didn't but there isn't much connection, if you recall, that was a gift set but the individual figures could be purchased on blister cards.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Emgee
                • May 5, 2009

I suspect that the art for both ZORRO and perhaps STARSKY AND HUTCH too were done by David Barnacle who was responsible for much of the 1970s ACTION MAN box designs.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Emgee
                  I suspect that the art for both ZORRO and perhaps STARSKY AND HUTCH too were done by David Barnacle who was responsible for much of the 1970s ACTION MAN box designs.
                  You're probably right, while I didn't know the man's name, they share a certain style.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    The Langella film was my introduction to the character, and then the Filmation version had me hooked. There was a confluence for me of that film, the cartoon, a TV series with Henry Darrow and the Hamilton parody in the early eighties that made me a fan. From there I moved on to the Regher series and the great Tyrone Power version, and then Banderas. Zorro's almost as evergreen as Batman!

I really enjoyed the Isabel Allende novel, too.
                    I have secretly always wished that they would make a new Zorro movie from this novel.

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 18, 2007

I would love to see a reproduction or slight variant of Zorro. Charlie Flatt was going to produce one based off Antonio Banderos and I was all In. Really bummed when that fell through. The one he showed on his web site was beautiful. The license seems to have a lot of potential, as you have a lot of options for characters to sell with zorro, and several versions of Zorro himself. I always thought grandpa Walton would make a fine Sgt Gonzalez with the right outfit. Im just not a great seamstress and never made it happen. I have several Mego Zorrros as they would show up naked once in a while on ebay, the challenge is trying to complete one. The hat is impossible. Thanks to Dr Mego or all my Zorros would be hatless.
                      I owned a boxed version for about a year and it was the jewel of my collection. He is still my favorite hero, and figure I own. I am still seeking an original hat so I can have one completely original.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

It's a shame that Flatt World didn't get that next batch of figures out there. What they were essentially trying to do was what Mezco is doing now. Mezco even cites Charlee as an influence.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Fuzzysnail
                          I have secretly always wished that they would make a new Zorro movie from this novel.
                          It really has a sweep to it, doesn't it? The first epic Zorro.

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Has Mezco made a Zorro figure?
                            JediJaida

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎