• LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Mego at Goodwill...

...makes me very sad. $6.99 plus tax.

• SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Can you grab me a set of the I Dream of Jeannie?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm. I wonder if they will have the 12" Aquaman in addition to that Capt. Marvel...
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by SeattleEd
        Can you grab me a set of the I Dream of Jeannie?
        It's a picture someone sent me, and not from the state I live in. We have no sales tax in Oregon. I wish I would have seen them at a store that cheap! I would have bought them all!

Comment

• danadoll
          Micronaut Nut!
          • Apr 11, 2005

Ugh...that's kinda sad.
          Last edited by danadoll; Sep 16, '19, 10:18 PM.
          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

I keep waiting for that to happen at my local GW. I have no Target stores within a 90 mile radius, so that is the only way I will ever see them in my town. I would nab them all. The Full House gals are probably good custom fodder. Tony certainly is; and the Jeannie doll is fantastic.

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

For me, the sad part isn't that these didn't sell. We all knew Full House and I Dream of Jeanie weren't going to light up retail. Plus, there is Dora and other major brands in those pictures... they are in fine company.

The sad part for me is the lack of a distribution channel to get this overstock into the hands of someone who would appreciate them. This is one area where FTC has it over Mego. Mego customizers would happily pay $7 for 2 bodies. If you parted out the heads, clothing, accessories... you could easily get double that money out of these figures. Doc Mego was a pioneer in this area. You think they would want to find a way to take advantage of that.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

This is why I have been buying them up when I could, custom parts....If I walked into that Goodwill I would have bought them all.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

Hmm? That's what happened after clearance at Target on these...

Comment

• ObiSeanMEGObi
                    • Oct 15, 2018

A Target toy manager told me before that all unsold clearance is "salvaged" which means its donated to the local Goodwill. I have also seen Target clearance at Salvation Army and recently I heard of them being found at discount stores like Dirt Cheap.

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

This doesn't upset me. These weren't selling. Better to clear out old stock so we can get figures that will sell. Mego seems to have figured things out, and dropping the sitcom characters was a wise move. I'd rather see the old stuff that wasn't selling cleared out to make way for new stuff that will sell, than to see the old stuff languish on shelves at full price, and stores not get anything new.
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

I don't think it was Mego's idea to sell the sit-com crap. That was Target who orchestrated that because Target has no understanding of the Mego market and thought general market stuff would sell. General market buyers didn't buy them and only some Mego fans bought them. Now that that Target limited run deal is over Mego is making what they want to make which will appeal to Mego fans and other collectors.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

Hey, some of it was on point in the good idea department...like Charmed, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, which are all fantasy-based shows and two of them are big nostalgia hits (Bewitched and Jeannie, of course).

Maybe the Charmed line would have done better, if they also included some of the demon/monster bad guys (along with the Hallowell sisters), like Cole's big, red alter ego, Belthazor or the pale, life-sucking Grimlocks or the Wendigo, or the Banshee that Phoebe turns into? The other monsters in the Mego line certainly did well. I dunno...but I do know some of the other lines kind of fell flat, like The Facts of Life figures.

Dana
                          Last edited by danadoll; Sep 20, '19, 5:37 PM.

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Sorry, double post. :(

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by danadoll
                              Hey, some of it was on point in the good idea department...like Charmed, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, which are all fantasy-based shows and two of them are big nostalgia hits (Bewitched and Jeannie, of course).

Maybe the Charmed line would have done better, if they also included some of the demon/monster bad guys (along with the Hallowell sisters), like Cole's big, red alter ego, Belthazor or the pale, life-sucking Grimlocks or the Wendigo, or the Banshee that Phoebe turns into? The other monsters in the Mego line certainly did well. I dunno...but I do know some of the other lines kind of fell flat, like The Facts of Life figures.

Dana
                              I don't know if there was ever any hope for the Target Sitcom figures, but not having actor's likenesses and having Charmed mixed in with Star Trek in the Boys Action Figure Aisle didn't help. Even now, Target is separating Megos by genres on the collector's wall -- Icons Hendrix and Bruce Lee; Horror like Dracula and Freddy Krueger; TV with Star Trek and Charmed (yeah, my Target put some leftovers on those pegs). But, The Brady Bunch and Cheers had likenesses of the actors, so....

I wish Ollie's or Big Lots picked them up. But at least they are somewhere (a real life Island of Misfit Toys?).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎