Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Knight Returns 4 - Golden Child

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Please. His art is laughably bad.
    Just another modern comic artist who is all style and no substance.

Attachment 26369
    Attachment 26367
    Attachment 26368
    in your opinion.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    Blog Entries
    Well, yeah--mostly opinions here. I don't care for the art, either. And I'm quite wary of Miller in general after The Spirit debacle.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

GrampŠís art is interesting. Itís easy to see why he was tapped for the project as his work looks Miller influenced already, but I canít tell anything from pin-ups. Anyone can do pin-ups, even Liefeld could do pin-ups. I want to see his storytelling.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
    GrampŠís art is interesting. Itís easy to see why he was tapped for the project as his work looks Miller influenced already, but I canít tell anything from pin-ups. Anyone can do pin-ups, even Liefeld could do pin-ups. I want to see his storytelling.
    There are a couple of sequential page previews in the EW first look article here: https://ew.com/books/2019/09/13/fran...den-child/amp/ same previews at CBR as well... https://www.cbr.com/frank-miller-raf...hild-announce/

a few other points to clear up some misconceptions in some posts-

-this is a one-shot from DC's Black Label, not a mini, so no trade waiting, there is nothing to wait to be collected.

-interiors and covers are by Grampa, Miller is one of a handful of people doing variant covers for the book, but the main cover is by Grampa. Other variants will be by Paul Pope, Joelle Jones and Andy Kubert.

-Miller is still doing art, he did the Xerxes series, a 300 sequel for Dark Horse a year or two ago, and is doing the illustrations for a novel about the legend of Nimue and Excalibur called cursed written by Thomas Wheeler coming out in October from Simon & Shuster (already set to be a Netflix series in 2020).

-M

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Please. His art is laughably bad.
    Just another modern comic artist who is all style and no substance.
    I think his art looks cool. It is certainly stylized, but I don't get the "no substance" part...

Blog Entries
    I have never understood the allure of Miller and I view his work largely as cliche, this is probably due to the many imitators he seemed to inspire in the 1990s.

Images
    I get that. plus he sort of ****ed on batman in more recent years. But I always liked his art and story lines. at least the ones I ever read

Images
    I didn't bother reading DKIII, because I have felt Miller has moved past super heroes, but continues to take DC's money. Since he now looks down his nose at them, he rips them apart and laughs all the way to the bank. That's my interpretation of his mainstream work since at least Daredevil: The Man Without Fear, anyway.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif