X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Mattel She-Ra reboot dolls review.

Just to get it out of the way, as I've mentioned before, I'm not exactly super happy the reboot is so different from the original. I'm just not weird about it like some online and don't make disliking it my reason for being.

On to the dolls. They are reasonably priced and this is the first time She-Ra toys have been on the shelves since the late 80s. So, what the hell, I picked up a set. I do give Mattel's design team a lot of credit. They did make the dolls cuter than their animation counterparts. Make up, longer hair, etc. I'm guessing to be more appealing to the Disney Princess toy buying kids and for $14.99 you do get a really nice quality toy for your money. Full fabric outfits, lots of articulation and one accessory. They are not budget level.

Now for some issues. As you can see She-Ra and Bow are WAY taller than every one else. They are crazy tall in comparison almost like they are from another line. The hair on my Catra wasn't the greatest. It was kind of thin, choppy and dry. Glimmer's hair was a mess in the package but did comb out nice. She also comes with this tiny translucent "glitter blast" accessory and you have no idea how she is supposed to actually hold it. She-Ra's elbow joints were stuck. I had to be really careful when trying to move them at first. Her tiara is also stapled into her head with plastic ties and once you remove them it fits very loosely. The handle on Bow's bow is really thin and he hold's it very loosely.

shera2019.JPG

Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 10, '19, 1:24 AM. Reason: Typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention, these are currently only available at Target. I think they will get a wider distribution starting in January.

Battle Armor She-Ra and Swift Wind giftset $29.99. Now this set seems a little more budgety. Battle Armor She-Ra is the same mold as regular She-Ra. The only fabric piece is the tiny glitter skirt. The golden armor is a one sided clip on. Swift Wind is not articulated and I think he uses same horse mold from the Wonder Woman movie line. It's still a bit undersized. He doesn't come with a saddle and has a clear plastic clip stuck in his back to hold the doll in place. The wings are printed fabric over plastic tabs that clip into the body. The "wing flapping action" is from just shaking the toy which causes the fabric wings to "flap." Yeah, as an action feature, it's not all that.

she-rasw2019.JPG

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

Is it funny to point out Bow is wearing a midriff baring shirt in a toyline that's supposed to be desexualized?

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Why is Bow's skin so dark? He's more tan than He-Man.
        Anyway...I think these look atrocious.

I'll never figure out Mattel.
        They can make some of the most beautiful figures you've ever seen while simultaneously making the worst crap too.
        Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 10, '19, 6:38 AM.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I feel like I have to defend Mattel's design team here. Considering the designs they had to work with and the price point they met, they did a good job. They are nice quality toys. I do speculate Mattel as a company doesn't think these will be a massive success. They put a lot more resources into the new DC Superhero Girls line. Wider distribution, more characters and more products at a wider variety of price points.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

These two dolls are from the same design team. So the criticism really lies with Dreamworks designs not Mattel's team.

sheravsshera.JPG

Mattel did their usual nice quality. The new designs are just not as nice looking as the original toys, Filmation or the absolutely wonderful 80s She-Ra art by Beverly Kirby.

Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 10, '19, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
              These two dolls are from the same design team. So the criticism really lies with Dreamworks designs not Mattel's team.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26347[/ATTACH]

Mattel did their usual nice quality. The new designs are just not as nice looking as the original toys, Filmation or the absolutely wonderful 80s She-Ra art by Beverly Kirby.

http://she-rawarriordoll.weebly.com/beverly-kirby.html
              Well, I have to agree with you Werewolf. That She-Ra on the right is STUNNING.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Well, I have to agree with you Werewolf. That She-Ra on the right is STUNNING.
                She displays really nicely with the Mondo He-Man.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

These figures look awful. I think the design for the show is really a shame. Total crap.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

how tall are the shorter figures? I am looking at them for custom purposes.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      how tall are the shorter figures? I am looking at them for custom purposes.
                      They are around 10 inches tall.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I saw the basic She-Ra at target recently, I think she's cute, fine for what she is and for whom she's intended. I haven't seen the new cartoon, but I assume Bow's skin tone and hair are intentional.

Nearly twenty years ago, I suggested that Mattel use their Max Steel molds to do 12" MOTU. Could have been great...
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          They are around 10 inches tall.
                          If they had in proportion heads would they be close to Mego size?
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            If they had in proportion heads would they be close to Mego size?
                            Here's the scale. Hopefully this helps.

sherascale.JPG

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

thanks, dang a bit taller than FC even. I was hoping they were reusing parts from the retro wonder woman body

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎