X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

New Dark Shadows Series

EXCLUSIVE: The CW and Warner Bros Television have made a deal to develop Dark Shadows: Reincarnation, an hourlong gothic horror drama based on the 1966 Dan Curtis-created cult classic TV soap opera. The pilot will be written by Mark B. Perry, whose credits include Revenge, Ghost Whisperer and Brothers & Sisters. He will be exec producer along with Amasia Entertainment’s Michael Helfant, Bradley Gallo and Tracy Mercer, along with Tracy Curtis and Cathy Curtis.

The re-imagined show will be a modern-day continuation of the strange, terrifying, and sexy saga of the Collins family of Collinsport, Maine — a mysterious, influential, publicity-shy group hiding a ghastly secret: For the past 400 years, they’ve lived under a curse that bedevils their blue blood with every imaginable supernatural creature and horror. The intention here is to harken back to the original, which was so popular it actually saw Shakespearean actor Jonathan Frid become as popular in the teen magazines as the young heartthrobs of the moment, for his role as the vampire Barnabas Collins.
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Looks promising. I like that it says it will be a "modern day continuation" of the Collins Family. I really don't want to see a remake or rehash of the old stories again. Have a new generation of the Collins family, and maybe have the original actors make guest appearances. Continue the franchise like Star Trek the Next Generation.

Comment

• Treadwell
      Museum Super Collector
      • Dec 31, 2018

I only just started watching the original....a year and a half ago. I'm only 231 episodes in. At this rate I won't be ready for a new series for another five years.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

While "I also want to reassure the fans of the original that this version will treat the show’s mythology with the same reverence..." echoes similar promotional propaganda from the Burton camp, I am (skeptically) optimistic about this venture.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the original timeline key immortals (Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique, Laura & Adam) and/or any of the original resident ghosts (Josette, Sarah and Daphne) will be featured or referenced in any way.

I also wonder if this will fill the Supernatural time slot when it draws to a close after next season.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

From Variety-

A new entry in the world of “Dark Shadows” is in the works at The CW, Variety has confirmed.

Based on the original series created by Dan Curtis, the one-hour drama “Dark Shadows: Reincarnation” is described as a modern-day continuation of the strange, terrifying, and sexy saga of the Collins family of Collinsport, Maine — a mysterious, influential, publicity-shy group hiding a ghastly secret: For the past 400 years, they’ve lived under a curse that bedevils their blueblood with every imaginable supernatural creature and horror.

Mark B. Perry is attached to write and executive produce the project. Tracy and Cathy Curtis will also executive produce along with Michael Helfant, Bradley Gallo, and Tracy Mercer of Amasia Entertainment. Warner Bros. Television will produce.

The original “Dark Shadows” aired on ABC from 1966 to 1971 for over 1,200 episodes. The series featured a wide variety of supernatural storylines and creatures, but is perhaps best remembered for the vampire character Barnabas Collins, who was played by Jonathan Frid. It also inspired two feature films starring much of the original cast. The show was then briefly revived at NBC in the early ’90s, while a pilot for a new take on the series was produced at CW predecessor The WB in 2004. Johnny Depp then starred as Barnabas in a 2012 film adaptation that took on more of a comedic tone rather than the dark tone of the original series.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I stalled on my DS watch with the Leviathan storyline. I keep meaning to get back, but every fan I've ever spoken to said I saw the best of the series, anyhow.

I would rather see DS on a streaming channel, and not beholden to CW's formula, but I'll give it a shot.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
              Creature Of The Night
              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I would rather see DS on a streaming channel, and not beholden to CW's formula, but I'll give it a shot.

Chris
              I agree with you.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
              I stalled on my DS watch with the Leviathan storyline. I keep meaning to get back, but every fan I've ever spoken to said I saw the best of the series, anyhow.
              Yeah, the Leviathan storyline takes a lot of effort. After watching the full series from start to finish on DVD for the first time, on rewatches, I generally skip it.

I remember watching some of it as a kid on its first run (mostly Jeb yelling a lot and the shadow from the fireplace chasing him around) and I remember being bored and confused with it then. My strongest and fondest memories are from the 2nd half of the 1897 episodes (summer/fall of 1969) and the 1840 episodes (fall/winter of 1970).

While I agree the best episodes are behind you, there's some good times to enjoy within the first Parallel Time storyline and the 1840 Time Travel storyline, and you wouldn't miss much if you skipped ahead. The final leg of the series, 1841 Parallel Time is even more difficult to sit through than the Leviathans.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                Creature Of The Night
                • May 14, 2011

Found this pic today, it was used on the actual set (a retro makeover on Hollywood Blvd) for "Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood". I don't remember seeing it in the actual film, maybe it went by too fast in one of the car scenes, but I am 99.9% sure that I saw the cane in Luke Perry's hand during the film, never got a clear full on shot of it though.

Quentin Tarantino gave portions of Hollywood Boulevard a retro-makeover during the production of his latest film, Once Upon a Time in Ho...

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I am glad that they are not rebooting the series, that would be such a waste. I can see this taking the place of Supernatural...it should be able to keep that audience happy.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• danadoll
                    Micronaut Nut!
                    • Apr 11, 2005

Maybe some of the older, surviving actors could reprise roles, like Nancy Barrett/Carolyn Stoddard, John Karlen/Willie Loomis, perhaps even David Selby /Quentin Collins, Jerry Lacy/Rev. Trask, and Jim (James) Storm/originally Gerard Stiles?

As far as the series was concerned:

Barnabas was cleared of his curse by Angelique, before she died. He and Julia supposedly married, perhaps they could have adopted some children?

Carolyn may have married again and had children, then grandchildren (but they wouldn't be Collinses, of course).

David Collins was said (by head writer Sam Hall) to have moved away after growing up (never to return), but perhaps, he could be recast (since David Henesy doesn't act anymore) and he could have returned, married and had a family and grandchildren?

Of course, actress Lara Parker/Angelique is still around, but I'm not sure what role she would play, now that Jonathan Frid has gone. Even if he were around still, they've both aged quite a bit, it hardly makes for a believable immortal witch and vampire story, when your witch and vampire have actually aged. Then again, Barnabas had become mortal...perhaps, it could be said that Angelique could have found herself trapped in present day as a mortal woman with some of her witchly powers?

Sorry...I'm rambling...I just love the old show (not the last parallel time storyline so much, though...blech).

Ooh...Maybe Kate Jackson could come back to the show too (I know she's still acting)?

Dana
                    Last edited by danadoll; Sep 11, '19, 11:23 AM.
                    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                      Creature Of The Night
                      • May 14, 2011

^Your enthusiasm made me smile!

It would be great to see some of the original actors (who portrayed non-immortals) return as was done with the Dallas continuation. If they're going to feature the original immortal characters, however, I would prefer to see them as immortals with their roles recast by young actors, of course, who share similar resemblances.

From Mark B. Perry (writer of the pilot) "My plan is to take as few liberties as possible with the Dark Shadows canon, while bearing in mind a quote from a 1970s episode delivered by the inimitable Oscar-nominee Grayson Hall as Dr. Julia Hoffman: ‘The Collins family history is not particularly famous for its accuracy.’ "

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

I couldn't stand the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie...it was so awful. I cringed almost all the way through the whole thing. I did like the 90s revamp series, it's too bad it wasn't able to do better, but it was just it's unfortunate luck.

Dana
                        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I certainly would give a new version a try, I'm "hungry" for Dark Shadows and don't have the series on dvd.

And I wish Mego would reissue the Spectre dolls.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

More I think about this, the smarter this seems.

You've got a pre-built backdrop like Trek, but written in soap operatic form so the storyline complications are built from the characters, not the plot devices. That will make it much easier for younger viewers to buy into the concept.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                              Creature Of The Night
                              • May 14, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I certainly would give a new version a try, I'm "hungry" for Dark Shadows and don't have the series on dvd.

And I wish Mego would reissue the Spectre dolls.
                              I second this wish and hope they also offer the unreleased 2nd wave and continue on from there. There is no reason they couldn't move them, if offered on the MPI Video site alone they would likely sell out.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎