X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Songs That Immediately Take You Back

You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that start clearing some of the fog around a specific moment when you were a kid. Its most likely NOT a song that you've carried with over the years, listening to it again and again, affixing more and more memories to it. (but for you, it might be). Its more likely a song you may have heard a lot doing a particular thing as a kid, but you may not have heard as much as a teen or adult.

'Crocodile Rock' by Elton John - My mother used to listen to what today would be called "Adult Contemporary". And, of course, she controlled the radio when we were tooling around in whatever junker we were driving back then. If I catch this today as a gwown up, it sucks me right back to sitting in the back seat with my sister, complaining about some scratchy sweater I was made to wear.

'Leaving On A Jet Plane' by John Denver - Actually, pretty much anything by John Denver takes me back to the 70's. Partially because teen me would've never admitted my fondness for his country-crossover hits. I have a clear memory of this one, but not being played by Denver. Our apartment complex's lifeguard, Charlene, used to bring her guitar to the pool. For some reason, this is the song I remember her playing the most.

'Fly Like An Eagle', The Steve Miller Band - I do remember hearing this many times on classic rock stations of the late 80's and even more so in the 90's, but there's something about this song that gives me a general feeling of riding my Huffy around the neighborhood, picking up some Wacky Packages and a Tahitian Treat soda at the local Wawa (Wawa rules!!) Maybe because this whole album seems really lock down the rock sound of the mid-70's. It feels more dated, more "time and a place" than other songs that transcended the decade.
    Last edited by Wee67; Sep 10, '19, 11:02 AM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

'I Love You' - Climax Blues Band
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

"Go All the Way" --- The Raspberries ….. My first grade school crush

"In the Evening" --- Led Zeppelin ….. Freshman year of high school

"Never Can Say Goodbye" --- Gloria Gaynor ….. Trying miserably to disco dance at the grammar school dance

"Have You Ever Been Mellow" --- Olivia Newton-John …… Olivia was my first genuine celebrity crush

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Money for Nuthin' - Dire Straits - Played before our home football games my sophomore year in the locker room

Barracuda - Heart - Seemed like it was always playing when my mom was driving me to dropoff at my grandmother's

Back in Black - AC/DC - Riding around on my bike with my GE cassette recorder bunjicorded on the back

Crazy Train - Ozzy - Hanging out at my friend Todd's house, the older cool kid in the old 'hood

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
          "Never Can Say Goodbye" --- Gloria Gaynor ….. Trying miserably to disco dance at the grammar school dance
          Man, I wish SO MUCH kids had iPhones back then to record video

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by J.B.
            'I Love You' - Climax Blues Band
            Were you playin’ around, feelin’ down and hittin’ the beer?

I liked that song a lot when I was a little kid, as well...I have no idea why.

A song that takes me back is 10cc’s “The Things We Do For Love.” I remember listening to it as we drove down the road in my parents yellow Super Beetle. Silly song to take one back, but that’s the way it turned out.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
              Were you playin’ around, feelin’ down and hittin’ the beer?
              More like: Foolin' around, hitting the town, growing my hair.

Remember hearing it a lot in 8th grade. 1st girlfriend. I had to wait a couple more years till I knew someone with a car to properly be hitting the town.
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

3 Songs remind me of the very first Megos I had.

1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
                2. I Write The Songs
                3. Mahogany (Do you know where you 're going to)
                sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Just had a super nostalgic flashback …

This song always takes me back to riding on the bus to school when I was just a wee lad.

It's NEVER played on the radio anymore

m

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                    Back in Black - AC/DC - Riding around on my bike with my GE cassette recorder bunjicorded on the back
                    This takes me back to my pre-teen bedroom, sliding the vinyl out of the sleeve and putting it on my crappy turntable as I was starting to investigate music. I can still picture holding the album by the edges.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                      Made in the USA
                      • May 2, 2003

This came on the Radio Today:

Immediately had a flashback of reading a pile of comic books in my room while this played on Casey Kasem AT40
                      Last edited by WannabeMego; Oct 19, '19, 6:21 PM.
                      Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Hard to narrow it down. But this is a top one for me.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

This video really shows what the club scene was like and it really doesn't seem like 30 years ago.
                          Taken from "Bummed (Collector)", available on all platforms: https://happymondays.lnk.to/bummedSubscribe to the channel: https://londonrecords.lnk.to/YTSubsc...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎