Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Booster
    • Apr 29, 2018

Serpentor: The Cobra Emperor

Professor Beastly is back with a review of Serpentor: The Cobra Emperor https://youtu.be/Hzhw2KPnKt0
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

It's a nice enough toy. But the additions of Serpentor, Cobra-La and Sgt. Slaughter is when RAH jumped the shark for me. I know people tend to be really harsh towards the DIC cartoon and the 90s neon Joes but at least they got rid of Serpentor, turned Cobra Commander back to a human and never again mentioned Cobra-La.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I freaking LOVED Serpentor...combining the DNA from all of history's most evil warriors was brilliant.

And he was really cool looking too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I agree with you both. Very cool design but too far afield for me. And Cobra-La (Buzz notwithstanding) was ridiculous.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

I loved everything about the time of Serpentor toys and the animated series, with the 1980's G.I. Joe: The Movie.

He could throw snakes like spears, a lot like the snake arrow in Conan.

Nemesis Enforcer was awesome and had those really cool arm blades.

And in the comicbook, Serpentor invented the pizza during a previous life, not easy to top that achievement.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I liked the idea of Serpentor...but just not in GI Joe. This is when I first learned Dracula was a real guy though, and it blew my young mind!!!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

I didn't mind it.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I liked Serpentor in both concept and design, something wonderfully "comic booky" about him and I guess it shook things up in the toy line. I liked his little cape and platform, I think I actually bought one when it was new.

I didn't like Sgt. Slaughter or Cobra-La at all. I remember the walls of unsold Cobra-La at a discount toy outfitter near me, so i guess kids weren't into them either.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

I didn't mind Serpentor. I began losing interest at battle force 2000,ninja force, neon joes,mega marines and those bulky armored space joes.And I don't remember what happened at the tail end of the Joe comic.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I bought Serpentor, Cobra-La, and got the mail-in Sgt. Slaughter. But Sgt. Slaughter's super human portrayal on the cartoon, and Cobra-La in general were just too much for me. The reveal about Cobra Commander was kind of the straw that broke my back with G.I. Joe. I know some folks like the Lovecraftian like angle, but I just couldn't abide it in my head canon.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      I know some folks like the Lovecraftian like angle, but I just couldn't abide it in my head canon.
                      I agree. The Lovecraft stuff was fine in Inhumanoids but I intensely disliked it in GI JOE.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Booster
                        • Apr 29, 2018

I loved Serpentor as a kid, but G.I. Joe as a line was supposed to have a more real world flavor than say Masters of the Universe. Even in the 12 inch era it had embraced some science fiction, but to me Serpentor and Zartan were as far as they could go in that direction. Cobra-La was just going too far and didn't fit the universe.....on the subject of Inhumanoids the cartoon hinted that they were in the same universe as G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Jem.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Booster
                          on the subject of Inhumanoids the cartoon hinted that they were in the same universe as G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Jem.
                          Ah, yes, the infamous Hector Ramirez.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

I think that Serpentor is cool in a vacuum, but I don’t care for him where GI Joe RAH is concerned.

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

Speaking of Serpentor.......

At the 2016 Super ToyCon, The Orleans Arena, LV, NV.

1513.jpg

1514.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎