X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories.

My older sister is on a big Nancy Drew kick right now and she gave me one to read. So, right now, I'm reading through the reprint of the 70s reprint of the 1959 re-write of the Hidden Staircase. I have never read any of the stories before. Nancy Drew was really more her childhood than mine and I only vaguely remember watching the show with her. This version of the story really does give you a 50s/60s vibe. It's not really my thing but it's totally fine and can see why she would have dug it as a kid. Nancy is a cool character I just thought the story would be a little spookier.

Anyone else really love these or have recommendations for other books in the series?
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 6, '19, 10:14 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I grew up reading Nancy Drew & The Hardy Boys so I get what your saying. I remember watching the show and drooling over the Hardy Boys. Now with the new CW series on wanders just how far there going to go...
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      I remember watching the show and drooling over the Hardy Boys.
      My sister did the same.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

I loved reading The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew when I was a kid.
        Had a ton of the books that were given to me by a friend of the family. Plus I would check them out of the school library, and the city library.
        I thought both TV series were ok, but not great. I liked the mystery and intrigue of the books.

I used to eat up mystery novels when I was young. Besides these I also read all the Encyclopedia Brown as well as Three Investigators books.

Then I discovered science fiction and fantasy novels.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

My sister read the heck out of those, mostly after the TV shows hit. She was entranced by those shows.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Cee
            • Sep 7, 2018

The early stories were a product of the period they were written in. Some fans of the books and the '70s TV show have expressed their distaste of the rebooted movie and TV series stating the new take on Nancy's character is such that they may have well given her a different name. I suppose times change and the character must with it ( not counting James Bond ).

Some of the earlier stories did make her a little too perfect and talented ( in one story she beats seasoned professionals in a ice dancing competition when it was mentioned she'd only recently taken up skating ! ) and for the life of me I don't know how she hadn't suffered permanent brain damage from all the times she'd been knocked out or drugged !

Comment

• VintageJoe70
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 12, 2016

No Nancy Drew, but I do have a collection of the old hardbound Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators books...Still love re-reading them today...
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎