Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

Watched the first couple eps last night. One thing that I never heard an explanation of.. HOW was that house originally chosen as the house to use for exterior shots? There seemed to be no connection between the family that owned it (the same family owned it all these years, right?) and the show producers. Did the show just randomly choose it and then ask the familiar for permission? Or did they not even have to ask?

Just curious.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Pure speculation, but it was probably chosen by lower level producer based on a description of the family and the show. Go find a house that looks like it belongs to white-collar, middle class family in living an unassuming LA suburb, but could be almost anywhere in America. Site locator drives about 20 minutes from Paramount into Studio City, pulls off the 101 and into the back of a subdivision.

Hey producer, go find me a house that could be lived in by a working-class family in 1950's Milwaukee. Nothing fancy, but like the house your Midwestern parents grew up in. They have 3 kids, but we may just ditch one of them-

No kids, but this couple has a decent doctor's income. They choose to stay in the city, but probably live in a luxury waterfront apartment on the lake. Something easily accessible to downtown via the El.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, Bob Newhart. Great show. When I was a kid watching it with my parents, I thought the Bill Daily character was the same as on Jeannie.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I suppose I need to watch this, though I'm not a Brady fan. I'm fascinated by sitcom exteriors that don't match sets and sets that are architecturally impossible or domestically improbable.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I suppose I need to watch this, though I'm not a Brady fan. I'm fascinated by sitcom exteriors that don't match sets and sets that are architecturally impossible or domestically improbable.
            If you do, you definitely need to watch the first episode. The second was really focused on recreating certain rooms, but the first dealt with how the split-level house's exterior does a terrible job matching the 2-story interior and the very creative ways they address it. ***SPOILER ALER*** it involves drones and digging holes! There are also challenges with the rooms, though, trying to recreate the our point of view in each room.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎