X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Little Green Army Men, and Women

Love seeing this, Girl writes to toy companies asking for Army Women to be made, toy company agrees. Awesome all the way around.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That was cool.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I loved her crayoned letter. I hope these sell like crazy.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I hate to think of the uproar when they start getting melted and decapitated and crushed with rocks and blown up and run over and generally destroyed. Those poor little Army Women...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

GI JOE had female team members since 1982. No doubt lots of GI JOE figures saw some heavy and or destructive play. Hasn't been an issue.

And what's with purposely breaking toys? Toys aren't cheap. My parents would have been ticked if had purposely broken something.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Little Green Army Men were really cheap. Made for battle.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

There's a difference between a play battle and purposely breaking your toys. My SW figures and Joes had many a battle I never broke a one.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
                GI JOE had female team members since 1982. No doubt lots of GI JOE figures saw some heavy and or destructive play. Hasn't been an issue.

And what's with purposely breaking toys? Toys aren't cheap. My parents would have been ticked if had purposely broken something.
                Actually since 1967.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

There's a difference between a play battle and purposely breaking your toys. My SW figures and Joes had many a battle I never broke a one.
                  What do you not get about cheap little toys and getting damaged in battle?
                  "Hey friend, please lay down four of your little army guys because the rock I pretended to throw at them took out at least that many. Thank you kindly."
                  Star Wars toys don't have rocket launchers that blow the enemies up. Army guys have grenades. Light sabers and blasters don't do as much damage as M16s and bayonets.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    What do you not get about cheap little toys and getting damaged in battle?
                    "Hey friend, please lay down four of your little army guys because the rock I pretended to throw at them took out at least that many. Thank you kindly."
                    You went from melted, crushed and decapitated to pretended to throw a rock.

There's a difference between purposely destroying toys and accidently damaging one during play.

I remember going grocery shopping with my Dad and begging him for a cheap bag of plastic knights, which he bought for me. Thanks Dad! Had I melted or decapitated any of them once we got home he would have been REALLY mad and you can bet he wouldn't have bought me anymore next time I went grocery shopping with him.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Actually since 1967.
                      I forgot the about the nurse. Good point.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

You went from melted, crushed and decapitated to pretended to throw a rock.

There's a difference between purposely destroying toys and accidently damaging one during play.

I remember going grocery shopping with my Dad and begging him for a cheap bag of plastic knights, which he bought for me. Thanks Dad! Had I melted or decapitated any of them once we got home he would have been REALLY mad and you can bet he wouldn't have bought me anymore next time I went grocery shopping with him.
                        My point was it's a war toy and it was played like as such. At the time, it was going on in the real world, so it was realistic play, no matter how you view it. I didn't get toys as often as you, from your comment. If it wasn't my birthday or Christmas, I wasn't getting any new toys, no matter how cheap. I didn't worry about the next shopping trip, or what my parents thought of how I played with my toys. As far as I'm concerned, they were customs! I still tear apart toys to make customs. Go figure...

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Back on topic. It was a cute letter and I am looking forward to seeing how the toys turn out.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

That's a cool story. Good for her! My little green army men were all World War II style sculpts. Are they still predominantly that way?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 29, 2018

Yea ww2 is still the iconic model. I guess u could argue it didnt really change much until desert storm. Korea and Vietnam had pretty similar looking equipment. Altho...come to think of it.. most of the side equipment like choppers and planes were definitely more modern than ww2.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎