X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glimpy
    Loco Chango
    • Feb 5, 2012

cereal superhero mini comic books

Published in 1980 as a cereal box giveaway item from Post Cereals.
    A Super Sugar Crisp cereal premium.

I remember on a Saturday morning in 1980 eating a bowl of super sugar crisp and in the Box containing the mini comic "Terra man Skyway robbery". While I was eating the cereal, at the same time I was reading the comic I was so fascinated with that comic that within a week, I begged my mom to buy another box of super sugar crisp. The next comic was "Secrets of the Sinister Lighthouse" I immediately fell in love with those mini comics. About 1997 or so a friend/relative/idiot who has anger issues convinced me (over a 12 pack of beer) to get rid of some of my childhood comics because he felt my room looked too childish. So being a bit tipsy I tossed them out. About 6 years later I ended up buying most of them back on ebay for about $40 to $50 bucks each!!! What a lesson!!!

Last edited by glimpy; Sep 8, '19, 8:30 PM.
    sigpic
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Wow, I remember these! They were fun. Thanks for the flashback!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Awww, they did one with Aquaman.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• glimpy
        Loco Chango
        • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Awww, they did one with Aquaman.
        No..no Aquaman!!!
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I actually one one of these prizes! A special Super Friends comic (full size, that I believe was also available at comic shops) and a set of puffy stickers!

I loved all the promotions DC did with Post back then. Posters, design contests, min-comics little scratch-off cards...very exciting!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by glimpy
            No..no Aquaman!!!
            Um...he's on the shore near the sinister lighthouse.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• glimpy
              Loco Chango
              • Feb 5, 2012

Hahaha sorry!!! somehow my brain told me that you meant there wasn't a mini comic made for Aquaman. Yes he's definitely in the story and does a great job helping out. I'm surprised he doesn't bust out with a box of Hostess Twinkies for everyone!!!
              sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I actually one one of these prizes! A special Super Friends comic (full size, that I believe was also available at comic shops) and a set of puffy stickers!

I loved all the promotions DC did with Post back then. Posters, design contests, min-comics little scratch-off cards...very exciting!

Chris
                Hey Chris, do you have a picture of that comic you could post? I used to love and still do the Hanna-Barbera especially Super Friends puffy stickers. Including Marvel.
                sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                  Loco Chango
                  • Feb 5, 2012

Here's something very interesting:

Canadian Post Cereal Aquaman superhero mini comic giveaway

There were 9 of these Post cereal giveaways in 1981 - but only in Canada - Superman, Aquaman, Hawkman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Green Lantern, Batman, Wonder Woman & The Flash.

I never thought they had an Aquaman mini comic. Apparently only in Canada!!
                  sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

I don't remember those particular cereal comic books, but I do remember buying mini comic books at the candy store. They were about the size of a trading card and came with a stick of bubblegum. I did a search on Google, and found them! They were called Bubble Funnies, and were released in 1981. Here's a photo. I had Archie and Sabrina. Anyone else remember these?
                    5872d4eb11d7c4395f462d14917dfcb4.jpg

Comment

• glimpy
                      Loco Chango
                      • Feb 5, 2012

Holy moly!!! I remember those!!! I had the Archies right there in that photograph you have.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Hey Chris, do you have a picture of that comic you could post? I used to love and still do the Hanna-Barbera especially Super Friends puffy stickers. Including Marvel.
                        This is the book I received. It reprinted two stories from the Super Friends comic, plus some puzzle pages similar to the extras in the DC Treasury books.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics. A searchable resource indexing comics from multiple publishers, including DC, Marvel, Archie, Charlton, Dell, Gold Key and Harvey. Contains comic information and cover images for thousands of issues.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• glimpy
                          Loco Chango
                          • Feb 5, 2012

Super Friends special #1. eh? I'll be hunting for one of those thanks for sharing
                          sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by glimpy
                            Here's something very interesting:

Canadian Post Cereal Aquaman superhero mini comic giveaway

There were 9 of these Post cereal giveaways in 1981 - but only in Canada - Superman, Aquaman, Hawkman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Green Lantern, Batman, Wonder Woman & The Flash.

I never thought they had an Aquaman mini comic. Apparently only in Canada!!
                            Sweet!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

I still like the Wonder Woman and the Star Riders comic book:

WONDER_WOMAN_AND_THE_STAR_RIDERS_COMIC_BOOK_(1).jpg

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎