X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: The Supervator Playset

Time to talk about one of the Most ignored toys in the Mego World’s Greatest Superheroes catalog, the Supervator, we talk about its origins and short life with Mego and we also show you how it works. Check out the Mego Superhero Galleries here: http://www.megomuseum.com/galleries/wgsh-index/ This video was created by Brain Heiler (@plaidstallions)   Subscribe…

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Thanks for this video--I had no idea about this before.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Spidey falling out of his glove had me in stitches.

Jungle Chief's card looks like he's saying, "I know, I look fabulous."

Fun review, and thanks for posting the cards close-up--I want to do a Jungle Chief custom.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 31, '19, 7:33 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Spyweb007
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 18, 2006

Cool video for a neat toy. I had this toy as a kid, and the reason you had so much trouble catching the plans is the top of the harness spins around. The white triangular piece on top of the harness should be facing the supervator, when the hero slides down that piece hits the stopper and the harness spins to the left, swing the hero around, catching the plans and setting him up for the trip back down the line all in one motion. still hard to do, half the time the harness spins the hero so fast that he just slaps the plans of the hook!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

It looks like fun. Before the video documenting it, I don’t think I ever knew it existed. Kinda neat and I love the box.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Now you went and made me kind of sort of want that sucker.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

That was a whole lot of fun. I can imagine a lot of kids got frustrated with this one. I had no idea Marvin Glass was involved!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I was pretty verse in Mego products as a kid, but I had never heard of this until I joined the Museum. I have one now, but the contents seem pretty jumbled about in the box. I've never tried to set it up so I appreciate you doing that in the video. I also appreciate it because the "highlight" reel was hilarious!!

I also didn't know about the legendary Marvin Glass' involvement. Every time his name comes up, though, my first thought is not of any of the iconic toys he created. I think about the Playboy article he did in (I think) the late 60's touring his shag palace of a house.

Oh, and Jungle Chief looks like a leprosy victim to me. Yuch!
                Last edited by Wee67; Sep 3, '19, 2:55 PM.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
                  Youngest Mego Fan
                  • Aug 30, 2019

Jungle Chief could also be an enemy for Rima the Jungle Girl.
                  FTC apologist, Hawkman stan, and Cybatom shipper.

Comment

• Type Two
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 20, 2010

A complete Supervator (with box) is up for auction on eBay:

Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

I've got this somewhere in my big storage closet, I think still in it's box (easiest way to store it and I liked the box art). It is a wacky little thing, but pretty cool just because of that. I got it well after I stopped playing the Megos (or admitted to doing so); it was on clearance I think at Toy King.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I would love just a set of villain cards--fun!
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Type Two
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 20, 2010

I used to have everything in a storage closet, too. But then I moved. And moved again. And again. Now, I have a hard time finding my old stuff. I need to just take a week and get my you-know-what together and make a "Toy Room of Insanity" like Count Stankus.
                          Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

• thetao
                            • Jan 21, 2023

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                            Cool video for a neat toy. I had this toy as a kid, and the reason you had so much trouble catching the plans[...]
                            Glad I'm not the only person here who had one growing up. I noted the video, too, and joined the board specifically to set this point straight. I see you already did. While posting, I may as well ask a trivial question about the Supervator. Did the area at the top of the console meant for storing cards actually move or do something special? I was pretty clever as a kid but apparently never realized it was for storage and just kept my cards loose in the box. Asking because my Supervator disappeared in the early 80's.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎