Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Unpopular opinion: I like the Filmation Flash Gordon better than the 1980 movie

I love the 1980 movie and it is awesome. I just like the Filmation cartoon more. If I was given a choice between a new toy line based on the movie or the cartoon, I would pick the cartoon.

Anyone else?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

No but I really dig the Filmation Flash Gordon movie, wish it still existed. Dino Delaurentis was behind both of these productions, something I learned from the Scheimer book.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I like the animated movie too but, for me, it's hurt a bit by not having Alan Oppenheimer as Ming. It does really suck the animated movie is lost.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 28, '19, 7:36 PM. Reason: typos
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, it's awful that the film isn't available. I recall seeing it first-run and I've wanted it in my collection for along time.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
          I love the 1980 movie and it is awesome. I just like the Filmation cartoon more. If I was given a choice between a new toy line based on the movie or the cartoon, I would pick the cartoon.

Anyone else?
          Yep.

What I wouldn't give for a third series of figures including Dale Arden, Prince Barin, Princess Aura and Ming's Robot...

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Lol you're like me, with most every line "just one more wave!"
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

It really bugged me as a kid we got Lizard Woman but not Dale. Ha, still does! Great figures though. Mattel did a really nice job on them.

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

How in the heck do they lose a movie?
                JediJaida

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Cartoon rocks! I thought I saw movie on Youtube?

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by JediJaida
                    How in the heck do they lose a movie?
                    Because the movie apparently only existed in it's completed form on video transfer. The movie was made first in 1979, but was shelved and didn't air until 1982.

The movie's original film elements were cut up and re-edited together to form the TV series which aired in 1979, effectively destroying the film version of the movie.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Neutron X
                      Cartoon rocks! I thought I saw movie on Youtube?
                      I watched it there a few years ago but couldn't find it later.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Here's the movie.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It's really good. Probably the most faithful adaption of the property ever done and more than likely ever will be.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

I love the Filmation Flash Gordon series and the feature length "The Greatest Adventure Of All" movie. It's definitely one of the very best things Filmation ever produced.
                          Fantastic animation, character designs and voice acting.

(I'm also a big fan of the live action film... but overall, I revisit the Filmation version more often.)
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

I haven't watched the Filmation series in a long time, but it was gorgeous looking for sure. Filmation's stuff always looked slicker than HB's, at least by the late 60s/early 70s. The reuse of the same animation over and over does hurt the overall presentation, as does the more limited music, but visually, it's a more striking package.

I will have to check out the animated movie. I do love the live-action one for sure, though!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

I am a huge fan of all things Flash Gordon, my dad saw and bought a 3 pack of the Whitman/Gold Key comics in the late 70s just before the Filmation show debuted, as he had been a big fan of the serials as a kid, so the Filmation show was my gateway into Flash Gordon. I also started getting a bunch of the paperbacks featuring Al Williamson art at the Scholastic book fairs at school around that time. By the time the movie came out a couple years later, I was already a huge Flash Gordon fan, but because of a move around the time the movie came out, I never got a chance to see it in the theatres (through I read the novelization in the passenger seat of the U-Haul that my dad was driving as part of that move), but I did see it at a neighbor's house when it hit either HBO or the Movie Channel for the first time. I love both and now have both on DVD, but the animated series was my first real Flash Gordon love, so it stands a little higher for me than the movie (which I love as well and I can quote the movie but not the animated series). I've only ever seen parts of the animated movie though, and I need to make time to watch that on youtube at some point.

-M
                              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎