Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I saw it this weekend. Don't know if I can rightly say I enjoyed it (as it's about someone's life unraveling), but I am glad I saw it. Phoenix gave one heck of a performance and they did a phenomenal job creating the world of Gotham circa 1981. The whole thing had the feel of several of the gritty movies of the late 60s and 70s where New York City is in decay. Well-made and performed all around.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Best movie I've seen in years. You have to like character pieces, which we rarely get anymore. The Scorsese influence is heavy, but there's a very distinct mid-90's vibe that's being overlooked. Joker has just as much connection to Falling Down, Fight Club, American Psycho and Seven as it does Taxi Driver and King of Comedy.

The most amazing thing is by the end, he's progressed into Batman's Joker and not some obscura movie character using the name. I really didn't see that coming. There's a number of riffs on Nolan and TDK that makes it clear Phillips was trying to make Ledger's take even more real. If I was Nolan, I'd feel really humbled.

The other huge factor: Matt Reeves and Pattinson are screwed. Screwed. WB should have waited for this to play out. It does lend itself to a Batman world that hasn't been done and people would want to see.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

I liked it a lot. It wouldn't fit into a larger Batman universe but as a standalone it did what it was trying to do. Every scene was well shot, the plot wasn't some huge mess of comicbook stereotypes. Didn't even feel like a comic book movie, definitely worth multiple viewings.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

“You know, I wouldn’t have thought about this as my dream role. But now, honestly, I can’t stop thinking about it. I talked to Todd a lot about what else we might be able to do, in general, just to work together, but also specifically, if there’s something else we can do with Joker that might be interesting. So, it ended up being a dream role. It’s nothing that I really wanted to do prior to working on this movie.”

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Curious quote there, I figured it would be one and done with Phoenix, sounds like he's interested in continuing.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

I saw this last night - extremely well done. You go quite deep into the world of mental illness...
              A perfect stand-alone movie that if there isn't ever a sequel, I'd be just fine, because this one is hard to beat.

I too was having feelings of Heath's Joker and how he became to be who he was.

He was a tragic character that you rooted for, despite all he'd done.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

^That's what I felt, too. The meds/social worker stuff...if you know it, it's not easy to watch.

I think most film theorists are getting the idea wrong. When he was on his meds, we have the scenes of hallucination. When he's off them, the scenes stop. Most theories think it's the opposite; the meds were keeping him sane. But his speech at the end about about relativism is an indirect way of explaining his sanity/reality is the Joker mentality and everything else was a facade he "put on a happy face" for. The big tell sign is when Murray asks why he killed those bankers and he makes it a dark joke then explains nothing of their beatdown, for sympathy. That was his true nature coming through. The question becomes was he like that due to the abuse as a child, or was he always dangerous, because his mom alludes to that.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

Good movie. All around good story and very well done. Some touches from Millers DKR and even the Keaton movie. I was hoping for something touching back to the Batman 66 show but hey.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                      Good movie. All around good story and very well done. Some touches from Millers DKR and even the Keaton movie. I was hoping for something touching back to the Batman 66 show but hey.
                      Yeah there wasn't much connective tissue to Batman 1966. One message that was brought up in the film was in the early 80's state and federal funding for mental illness was slashed and mentally ill people were set loose in the streets to fend for themselves.

I recall someone telling me in the mid 80's how mental health workers had to take other state jobs they weren't trained for. Imagine a nurse learning forestry.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                        Made in the USA
                        • May 2, 2003

Was surprised to hear my son ask me if I was gonna go see it, since he likes The Joker Character (Ledger, Monaghan, & Hamill) but absolutely HATED Leto's take & the whole Dollmaker Skin Mask Storyline/Event in the books that was just meant to be edgy for the sake of nothing.Still debating if I'm gonna go see it in theaters, though I am intrigued for sure.
                        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

I saw it and thought it was pretty good. I would have been ok without any Batman references.
                          And there was a pretty obvious Batman ‘66 reference.

The theatre I was in was pretty quiet. I’m pretty sure my girlfriend and I were the only ones laughing at certain funny parts.

It’s a good character study movie.
                          Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Oct 20, '19, 11:36 AM.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                            I saw it and thought it was pretty good. I would have been ok without any Batman references.
                            I thought the exact same thing. It didn't need any Batman references and still would have been more or less the same movie.

I liked it, it is certainly bleak, well shot, had some twists too and a very slow burn at the beginning.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• WannabeMego
                              Made in the USA
                              • May 2, 2003

Saw it this Evening...Enjoyed it Very Much.

Pretty accurate depiction of 70's NY (Gotham)...and like most have mentioned, Movie stands on it's own without needing the tie-in/reference to the Batman Mythos, but it didn't take anything away from it either.
                              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• J.B.
                                Guild Navigator
                                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by WannabeMego
                                Pretty accurate depiction of 70's NY (Gotham)...
                                Early 80's, since they just saw Zorro the Gay Blade, right? There were a few scenes I remember seeing in the earlier trailers that were cut out from the movie:
                                • Arthur sharing a special moment with his imaginary girlfriend in cafe
                                • Arthur being thrown down a flight of stairs
                                • Arthur making his way from elevator through corridor in full Joker makeup, probably heading to his Murray Dressing Room
                                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎