Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    Lawrence Welk BTW is 40s nostalgia, my grandpeople loved him and now, I am nostalgic for Lawrence Welk which is 70s nostalgia to me. Funny how that works.
    That's the point I've been trying to make. New generations growing up with 80s characters will have nostalgia for them and the cycle goes on. Like when I was little watching Snow White or Universal Monsters movies with my Mom. I have nostalgia for the 70s for properties from the 30s and 40s.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      That's the point I've been trying to make. New generations growing up with 80s characters will have nostalgia for them and the cycle goes on. Like when I was little watching Snow White or Universal Monsters movies with my Mom. I have nostalgia for the 70s for properties from the 30s and 40s.
      yeah and that totally proves my point that 90s stuff will also be carried over, that's how it all works.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

yeah and that totally proves my point that 90s stuff will also be carried over, that's how it all works.
        I never disagreed with that. I think Power Rangers and Pokémon will go on forever.

What I meant by when, I said earlier, that I don't think 90s nostalgia will be "a thing" is I don't think it's revival will be the big cultural splash as 70s/80s is/was. I've been trying to explain this all along. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Lawrence Welk BTW is 40s nostalgia, my grandpeople loved him and now, I am nostalgic for Lawrence Welk which is 70s nostalgia to me. Funny how that works.
          Good - Night ... Sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you --- always reminds me of going to school on Monday because the show played here Sunday night and I had to go to sleep after that song

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I never disagreed with that. I think Power Rangers and Pokémon will go on forever.

What I meant by when, I said earlier, that I don't think 90s nostalgia will be "a thing" is I don't think it's revival will be the big cultural splash as 70s/80s is/was. I've been trying to explain this all along. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
            I super disagree with that on the grounds that you didn't grow up then. We all discount eras we didn't grow up in, self included.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Klosterheim
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 23, 2013

One thing that I did notice, along with having nostalgia for 1960's and 1970's Westerns when they were played in the 1980's, is that I miss out on good things if I only focus on nostalgia, I found that I like a lot of stuff from late 1940's to late 1950's, including their Western movies. I found, not that they were lost to some, wonderful movies on modern antenna channels, especially on Grit and Movies Network.

It is also great having the Decades channel, and the channel that plays '80's Johnny Carson.

I'm also happy to have seen many of the 50's-60's TV Series Westerns over the years. Maverick was super good and Bat Masterson was really decent.

The Big Valley was excellent. Bonanza was always a little weird. I watched some Gunsmoke for the guest stars. Laramie is pretty good so far. Wagon Train has some good stories. The Rifleman is fun, but not as good as I remember, compared to other Westerns.

What is enjoyable for me, for both nostalgia, and to treat it like it was a new television series, is The Wild Wild West. (also had Re-runs in the 1980's)

It might be said that it was more of a spy show, but it's both, and fun.

Many good episodes of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. as well, some out of decade nostalgia there for me, same with Mission Impossible, but binging Mission Impossible can get a little rough, but I love Rollin Hand! I think I would like that character even without the Space 1999 connection.

I have some Columbo nostalgia, and I love the episode with Martin Landau. Several other guest stars are awesome as well, not just the actors who did science-fiction, but those are an added bonus for me.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

I find I'm more genre-nostalgic than from any specific decade.

Growing up in the 70's I loved horror, sci-fi and fantasy that was already decades older than me...Universal Monsters, Star Trek, Batman, Hammer films, etc. as well as current stuff while simultaneously ignoring almost every other aspect of the time. This continued well into the 80's and even now. I was never into disco, rollerblades, video games, skateboards, or sports of any kind.
                I was always kind of in my own little world, and I suffered a lot socially because of it. I was very introverted and not popular at all. So, most of my time was spent playing alone with my toys or with my head buried in comics, monster magazines or books.
                I was so intensely focused on those interests I basically missed everything else.
                Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 1, '19, 5:41 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

my wife has that exact same nostalgia. she grew up watching with her grandparents and that show will always have a special place in her heart

Comment

• glimpy
                    Loco Chango
                    • Feb 5, 2012

We share very similar memories of living throughout the decades... from eating Crunch and berries and watching Saturday morning cartoons up until all the underground music.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

I was born in 72, so I was still growing up in the eighties. But I really don't have nostalgia for that period in my life. yes, there are some movies and TV shows that I absolutely love to this day and have had lasting impact on me(quite a lot of them actually). but I just don't get the warm fuzzies thinking about those years. I think maybe it is because I view the seventies as a time of innocence.

there are songs though, that when they come on the radio, take me right back to whatever year it was. Particularly songs that came out in my teen years in the late eighties. sometimes takes me right back to a day or event when that song was playing

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        I was born in 72, so I was still growing up in the eighties. But I really don't have nostalgia for that period in my life. yes, there are some movies and TV shows that I absolutely love to this day and have had lasting impact on me(quite a lot of them actually). but I just don't get the warm fuzzies thinking about those years. I think maybe it is because I view the seventies as a time of innocence.

there are songs though, that when they come on the radio, take me right back to whatever year it was. Particularly songs that came out in my teen years in the late eighties. sometimes takes me right back to a day or event when that song was playing
                        Every time I hear “The Things We Do For Love”, I am back on a middle-school era hay ride with Donna Newel.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by YoungOnce
                          Every time I hear “The Things We Do For Love”, I am back on a middle-school era hay ride with Donna Newel.
                          I used to LOVE that song !!!

Just went to listen to it on youtube and found out it was by 10cc

I never knew that

"I'm not in love"

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

The one non-animated show that takes me back instantly to my childhood is The Electric Company.
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I know what you mean, I think I was in the the first generation of "PBS" kids and that programming was integral to my childhood.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

Back when I was just a wee lad this was my kid's show preference

Watched it new and in reruns

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎