Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

I think Wee67 has thinking aligned with mine on the subject. 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s... whatever... you will have nostalgia for whatever era you grew up in. Those shows, movies, the music... the stuff you discovered when everything was brand new.

Get older and you can never quite capture that same feeling again. Boom... that old stuff was the best.

Your kids will “awaken” with different things. And they will discover them in different ways than we did. They may be nostalgic for the time before movies were beamed directly into their brains.

My golden time was the early 70’s through about 1983. I will never again be bowled over by movies the way A New Hope, Empire, and Raiders of the Lost Ark hit me.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Klosterheim
      I'm actually nostalgic for my 1999 computer and it music player display.

Some things seemed better when they were more primitive in technology.
      I think because in some ways technology has become oppressive. Instead of a fun novelty or something we could use it has become a mandatory requirement of our existence. With stuff like our modern increasingly negative and invasive social media and our phones are always on and in our pockets there's no escaping it.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I'll say this time and time again, keep your physical media. You won't regret it.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          I think Wee67 has thinking aligned with mine on the subject. 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s... whatever... you will have nostalgia for whatever era you grew up in. Those shows, movies, the music... the stuff you discovered when everything was brand new.

Get older and you can never quite capture that same feeling again. Boom... that old stuff was the best.

Your kids will “awaken” with different things. And they will discover them in different ways than we did. They may be nostalgic for the time before movies were beamed directly into their brains.

My golden time was the early 70’s through about 1983. I will never again be bowled over by movies the way A New Hope, Empire, and Raiders of the Lost Ark hit me.
          Maybe our thoughts are aligned because our childhood's "golden" time is very much aligned the same years. I am asking though if you have a different type of nostalgia for a different period of your life. Perhaps what we could call your "silver" age. I have a very different nostalgia for my teen years, but I have it nontheless.

I do wonder if nostalgia expressed by kids growing up since 2005 or so (their "golden" years) will be as split as their sources of pop culture. Though I do love the idea that they'll look fondly back on the time "before movies were beamed directly into their brains."

Originally posted by palitoy
          I'll say this time and time again, keep your physical media. You won't regret it.
          Speaking of my "silver" years- I only saved about 20 of the hundreds of vinyl albums I once had. Now I'm spending money to try and recover many of those records and I'm driven by nostalgia as much as musical taste. Even though the 180-gram re-pressings of some of my favorites would unquestionably sound better and be less scratched, I prefer to search out the original pressings I once had at flea markets and used record stores. Sometimes even when those original pressings were crappily recorded. I hunted down a particular Doors Greatest Hits collection, even though I'm not the biggest Doors fan AND it wasn't even a great recording. It didn't even have what I consider the Doors' best song (Peace Frog). It was simply that it was one of the 13 records I got from Columbia House the first time I joined.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy

Done and Done!!!

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I'm nostalgic for nostalgia.

Not trying to be funny.

I really enjoyed the 60's nostalgia in the late 80's. Monkees and Batman re-runs on TV. Oliver Stone weighing in on the decade. Beatles CDs being celebrated. Wonder Years was making it real. The neat part was, I was born in '72. The cultural wave of nostalgia helped me to understand a decade that didn't belong to me.

I'm sort of fascinated that the (Stranger Things Creators) Duffer Brothers grew up more in the 90s than in the 80s. And yet they are making a very authentic love letter to the 80s for just about anyone to enjoy. So my teenage kid gets to learn about when her parents grew up through this nostalgia fueled show.

It's all good.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I think because in some ways technology has become oppressive. Instead of a fun novelty or something we could use it has become a mandatory requirement of our existence. With stuff like our modern increasingly negative and invasive social media and our phones are always on and in our pockets there's no escaping it.
                Yes. Exactly.
                I was also thinking that it's hard to imaging someone becoming nostalgic over their smartphone. Children might grow up hating anything video.

Even with all the technology advances for good things, I'm really glad that I did not over use my VCR in the 1980's, often when I went to play, I was far away from the television.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

As I get older I get more and more nostalgic for things you cannot buy - people and events rather than things

Like i'll think about going fishing with my older bro more often than I will about how fun it was to have a Big Jim camper.

Same with other long past relatives and even school buds and locations that are no longer there.

Used to love going to Gettysburg to go up in the tower ……. Today it's gone (was literally blown up by parks department) --thanks guys (said sarcastically)

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Just saw something today that made me nostalgic … a farm windmill

Ever notice you never see classic farm windmills anymore ?

Comment

• Klosterheim
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
                      I'm nostalgic for nostalgia.

Not trying to be funny.

I really enjoyed the 60's nostalgia in the late 80's. Monkees and Batman re-runs on TV. Oliver Stone weighing in on the decade. Beatles CDs being celebrated. Wonder Years was making it real. The neat part was, I was born in '72. The cultural wave of nostalgia helped me to understand a decade that didn't belong to me.

I'm sort of fascinated that the (Stranger Things Creators) Duffer Brothers grew up more in the 90s than in the 80s. And yet they are making a very authentic love letter to the 80s for just about anyone to enjoy. So my teenage kid gets to learn about when her parents grew up through this nostalgia fueled show.

It's all good.
                      Yeah, and now I also understand all the 1950's nostalgia that was in the 1980's.

Stranger Things is so good, it made me wonder that too, I guess they just really loved and focused on 1980's movies.

The series The Americans really brought on the nostalgia as well!

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Lawrence Welk BTW is 40s nostalgia, my grandpeople loved him and now, I am nostalgic for Lawrence Welk which is 70s nostalgia to me. Funny how that works.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^I've had the exact same experience.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            ^I've had the exact same experience.
                            I freaking tape it. My wife loves it too.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

From American PBS? That's where I watch it.

If you catch the end a Christmas episode from late in the series, you can see a son/grandson of the cast/crew opening a jumbo Mazinga. I recall seeing that first-run and it cemented my desire to ask for one.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Yup, WNED the same place I watched the Davison Doctor Whos from.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎