Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

It's their happy time when things were less complicated.
    I think where we differ is I look at it from a pop cultural point and you more of a time period were people felt happy in their youth. I don't disagree that people will feel nostalgia for certain times in their lives. Of course that's totally normal. My point is 80s nostalgia will always live on, in a way, as it's pop culture will live on. Kids will still be playing with Transformers and that will live on. Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are now a part on another generations nostalgia. 90s kids may love 90210 but will that live on for generations? Will their kids and grandkids want 90210 dolls? Probably not.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I think where we differ is I look at it from a pop cultural point and you more of a time period were people felt happy in their youth. I don't disagree that people will feel nostalgia for certain times in their lives. Of course that's totally normal. My point is 80s nostalgia will always live on, in a way, as it's pop culture will live on. Kids will still be playing with Transformers and that will live on. Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are now a part on another generations nostalgia. 90s kids may love 90210 but will that live on for generations? Will their kids and grandkids want 90210 dolls? Probably not.
      I don't consider that a fair analogy or comparison (is Power Rangers Vs NKOTB fair?) and again, it steers off into a statement about what is better.

Respectfully, I am also looking at it from the pop-cultural standpoint, you are nostalgic for what you grew up with, all of us are. Some of us are more aware of our biases and some of us can't take off the rose coloured glasses, it happens to people of all ages. It's cyclical and the majority of 80s love will eventually die down as a new consumer group with disposable income takes flight. The 90s had tremendous brands and well, it's going to happen, the 90s nostalgia wave will occur.

The 1980s added to the pop culture landscape and will have many enduring brands for years to come but let's not hand out any trophies, there is a lot of merit to many of the brands built in later eras.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Some of us are more aware of our biases and some of us can't take off the rose coloured glasses
        That's a little harsh. That hurt my feelings a little. I already mention 90s pop cultural phenomenons like Power rangers will live on. The 80s were lucky and blessed with a lot of properties that became enduring pop cultural icons. That's not an insult or judgment of other generations.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

That's a little harsh. That hurt my feelings a little. I already mention 90s pop cultural phenomenons like Power rangers will live on. The 80s were lucky and blessed with a lot of properties that became enduring pop cultural icons. That's not an insult or judgment of other generations.
          It wasn't pointed at you at all, so don't take it personally. I don't work in ad hominem but merely speaking to the point of you basically saying 90s culture probably won't be as celebrated due to quality and yeah, maybe some of it isn't good but that won't matter.

I am also not attacking the 1980s, it has some great stuff but some of the stuff being aggrandized now is being done by those that loved it then and it will eventually fade. Some of it heartily deserves a second look and some of it doesn't, just like every era. Nostalgia is a powerful drug and it looks weird to those that don't share it.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

speaking to the point of you basically saying 90s culture probably won't be as celebrated due to quality and yeah, maybe some of it isn't good but that won't matter.
            I'm not really commenting on the quality. I loved Pirates of Darkwater but it wasn't successful, unfortunately. My comments where, for whatever reason, not many achieved the enduring pop cultural legacy like Power Rangers or Pokemon. Transformers living on isn't just my personal nostalgia for the property. It's become an evergreen property like Barbie and Hotwheels.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

I'm not really commenting on the quality. I loved Pirates of Darkwater but it wasn't successful, unfortunately. My comments where, for whatever reason, not many achieved the enduring pop cultural legacy like Power Rangers or Pokemon. Transformers living on isn't just my personal nostalgia for the property. It's become an evergreen property like Barbie and Hotwheels.
              and my point is that doesn't matter when it comes to nostalgia waves. It has nothing to do with endurance and never will. Urkel will rise again.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

It has nothing to do with endurance and never will. Urkel will rise again.
                It's really hard to read tone on the internet. I hope I'm not upsetting anyone. The Smashmouth Nickelback thing was a joke.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

It's really hard to read tone on the internet. I hope I'm not upsetting anyone. The Smashmouth Nickelback thing was a joke.
                  Um all of my smashmouth references have been jokes, I do not enjoy them.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Um all of my smashmouth references have been jokes, I do not enjoy them.
                    Ha, okay, cool. On that we totally agree.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

As far as nostalgia for decades, I do wonder how it will be expressed for this decade and maybe the 2000's.

The 60's through the 90's had a more unified culture. Television, for instance, was a common language. It was not unusual for a popular show to be watched by 50-60% of the audience. You might not have seen the commercial, but you understood the reference, "Where's the beef?" First cable and then the internet has greatly fractionalized pop culture. I wonder if there will be things to tie large groups together nostalgically. Sure there are big hits, but they seem to come and go very quickly. Then again, it might just be my old man perspective.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

^I think that may be one reason the Marvel movies have been so successful. It's a series, almost like a TV series, that a vast chunk of the populace watch together around the same time. It's water cooler talk just like TV used to be.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67

The 60's through the 90's had a more unified culture. Television, for instance, was a common language. It was not unusual for a popular show to be watched by 50-60% of the audience. You might not have seen the commercial, but you understood the reference, "Where's the beef?" First cable and then the internet has greatly fractionalized pop culture. I wonder if there will be things to tie large groups together nostalgically. Sure there are big hits, but they seem to come and go very quickly. Then again, it might just be my old man perspective.
                          I recently noticed that family get togethers would be "did you see this week's Seinfeld?" and now it's "My favourite show right now is _____________" followed by "where do you find that?"

Comment

• Klosterheim
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 23, 2013

I'm actually nostalgic for my 1999 computer and it music player display.

Some things seemed better when they were more primitive in technology.

It's all an interesting subject.

Malls were such a great thing for cities and rural areas.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I can't stand ANY super hero movies anymore --- The market is so oversaturated it's sickening

Superhero films and TV went from a unique niche in the film industry to it's own category of movie and TV genre

If I never see a super hero film again it would be too soon

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                                I can't stand ANY super hero movies anymore --- The market is so oversaturated it's sickening

Superhero films and TV went from a unique niche in the film industry to it's own category of movie and TV genre

If I never see a super hero film again it would be too soon
                                You are watching the wrong superhero stuff.

Watch Brightburn, The Boys, and the Umbrella Academy...trust me, lol...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎