Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Of course not. What I'm really curious about is are you nostalgic for a specific stretch of your life or are you nostalgic for several periods? It seems like most folks here look fondly back on the time before they were 10 or 12 years old. That is definitely the sweet spot for me and Mego (and lines up with the 70's). I also, however, have a different nostalgia for teen and college years (pretty much the 80's).

My nostalgia for those rosy childhood days are more innocent, carefree. Those are days of taking my Megos down to the tree at the corner of our apartment complex to play in its exposed roots. Happiness came from sitting with a bowl of Crunch Berries in front of Saturday morning's line up. The type of things we generally celebrate here.

I also revel in my teen and college years, but I'm nostalgic for different things. I really dove deep into underground music and I loved going to shows and seeing new bands. I started seeing movies without my mommy and have a warm feeling for both good and bad movies from the 80's.

It's like I have a completely different types of nostalgia for each period.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The 80s were totally awesome.

Seriously, though, it's a okay to like both. I love 80s cartoons and toys but I still appreciate and miss a lot about the 70s. Like woodgrain and giant console TVs and stereos. Damn, those were cool.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

I straddle both eras. Power Ballad Steve lived as fulfilling a life as Toughskins Steve.

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Luke Skywalker overlapped both decades, so I like both.

It depends if a person was isolated from certain things that happen in a decade, to really appreciate and have nostalgia for that decade.

What can be disappointing is when a person gets used to the world as viewed through TV shows, clothing and cars, then that person grows up and enters the world as an adult to find out that everything has vastly changed.

It seems like, in the past, there was more style, function and purpose in the world.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

My childhood was in the Seventies, but my truly formative years were the '80s. I have nostalgia for both decades.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

I go into nostalgic phases

First off, the early 70's were more of a 60's feel than late 70's so the 1970's should be split up in 2 era's

Same with the 80's ---- The early 80's was more like the late 70's than late 1980's …. and so on

Right at this moment i'm kinda in an early 90's mood reminiscing about the days of waiting for a new Star Trek The Next Generation episode to premier … while HATING Babylon 5

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I desperately miss 70s/80s shopping and mall culture.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Three things stand out for me in the 80s...

Movies, video arcades, and music.
                sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

80s culture for me was the mall culture, combined with the East Coast surf/skate scene. I was a punk and I loved it. But it was not idyllic. The late 80s brought me a lot of pain I carried into my teen years, and even into my 20s and beyond.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Those of you mentioning Mall Culture... did you watch Stranger Things 3? I thought it was splendid.

80s is so in right now, it's hard not to be nostalgic. But then I watch an old 70s Drive-In B-Movie like Supervan and I realize I am a child of both.

I recently binge watched V-The Series, and whoo boy does that bring back 80s memories.... some not so obvious.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Mostly 70s nostalgia for me, plus the early 80s up to around '84 or thereabouts.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Let me start by saying "You're breaking the 70s heart you cheating #$&%%$&!!!!"

I'm kind of apathetic to 80s nostalgia, possibly a bit envious. Let me give my back story.

I loved my childhood, born in the tail end of 1970 and growing up in a house that looked like the Kroffts decorated it (Mom liked Orange) it was a happy time. I also enjoyed the early 80s, it of course houses the end of childhood, my awkward phase (my kids would say that never ended) and awesome stuff like first kiss, first love, first job, first concert and some high school glory days, so it's got some stuff that totally makes me happy. I do love many 80s properties, movies and television series.

It's just when I was living in the 80s, I had to hear every drone on and on about the 60s, how life was better, music was better, Captain Action was the best, Mego is crap! Fuzz head Gi Joe? Blech! blah-blah-diddy-blah.

I expected the wave of 70s nostalgia that would no doubt come pouring out of the 90s to be fun. It totally was but the 70s was treated kind of like a joke and boy, was i in on it. Don't get me wrong, I still poke fun at it every day. I think that might be the result of being a generational middle child, cynicism, I don't take pop culture seriously at all.

With 80s nostalgia, I find it's just become a bit over the top. Everything is the GREATEST! People take it very seriously now and I swear if I see any more stuff with VHS tracking digitally added over a synth track, I will puke. Not every 80s property was amazing and worthy of lauding, you were five! Agh! I dared to mention that "Back to the Future" was a great movie with terrible sequels to people younger than me once and it got really ugly not long ago. I was initially all onboard but it feels cliche to me.

Totally aware that this is my perception and some people view it as a golden age that will never end, that's fine, mileage varies, I want off the bus.

I should love Stranger Things, I am the same age as the cast at that time but i just can't.

Looking forward to the 90s nostalgia.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

I never could understand the appeal of 80's teen comedy/drama films

At 20 years old was I too old to "get" The Breakfast Club ?

The movie tried to get me to like them and understand all of their delicate problems with growing up …..

My thoughts were, spoiled b_stards need a job … when I was their age I was laying sod after school and on weekends

BTW, if I was thinking this at 20 I must be a total d_ckhead today

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Breakfast Club totally worked for me, most Hughes movies did but I'm 6 years your junior.

PS I had jobs since i was 7 but i think Schermer IL, was a well to do area.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              My childhood was in the Seventies, but my truly formative years were the '80s. I have nostalgia for both decades.
                              Exactly! One of the big differences in my nostalgia for each time in my life has to do with the hazing abilities of nostalgia. Nostalgia seems to be capable of stripping away a lot of the dirtier details. Mostly the rosy, fuzzy warm feelings remain. My memories of my teen years are much clearer than those of my early childhood. While much of the difficult aspects remain clear, I still remember those Mall-dwelling, first dating, first job days with fondness. Space Port rules!

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I just find with 80s nostalgia it's just become a bit over the top. Everything is the GREATEST! People take it very seriously now and I swear if I see any more stuff with VHS tracking digitally added over a synth track, I will puke! Not every 80s property was amazing, you were five!
                              You know, when I posted this, I was surprisingly not thinking about the current wave of 80's nostalgia. Surprising because it is everywhere right now. I think I have a different nostalgia for the 80's then the stuff people are reveling in right now. I don't feel a connection with the current wave.

One thing I will note- when I first came here to the Museum, I definitely remember some folks feeling about the 70's the way this current wave seems to feel about the 80's. There were some who seemed to believe that all songs, TV shows, movies and toys lost all value at the exact stroke of midnight on December 31st, 1979.
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎