Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Images

Am I Cheating On The 70's When I'm Nostalgic For The 80's?

Of course not. What I'm really curious about is are you nostalgic for a specific stretch of your life or are you nostalgic for several periods? It seems like most folks here look fondly back on the time before they were 10 or 12 years old. That is definitely the sweet spot for me and Mego (and lines up with the 70's). I also, however, have a different nostalgia for teen and college years (pretty much the 80's).

My nostalgia for those rosy childhood days are more innocent, carefree. Those are days of taking my Megos down to the tree at the corner of our apartment complex to play in its exposed roots. Happiness came from sitting with a bowl of Crunch Berries in front of Saturday morning's line up. The type of things we generally celebrate here.

I also revel in my teen and college years, but I'm nostalgic for different things. I really dove deep into underground music and I loved going to shows and seeing new bands. I started seeing movies without my mommy and have a warm feeling for both good and bad movies from the 80's.

It's like I have a completely different types of nostalgia for each period.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    The 80s were totally awesome.

Seriously, though, it's a okay to like both. I love 80s cartoons and toys but I still appreciate and miss a lot about the 70s. Like woodgrain and giant console TVs and stereos. Damn, those were cool.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Blog Entries
    I straddle both eras. Power Ballad Steve lived as fulfilling a life as Toughskins Steve.

Luke Skywalker overlapped both decades, so I like both.

It depends if a person was isolated from certain things that happen in a decade, to really appreciate and have nostalgia for that decade.

What can be disappointing is when a person gets used to the world as viewed through TV shows, clothing and cars, then that person grows up and enters the world as an adult to find out that everything has vastly changed.

It seems like, in the past, there was more style, function and purpose in the world.

Images
    Blog Entries
    My childhood was in the Seventies, but my truly formative years were the '80s. I have nostalgia for both decades.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    I go into nostalgic phases

First off, the early 70's were more of a 60's feel than late 70's so the 1970's should be split up in 2 era's

Same with the 80's ---- The early 80's was more like the late 70's than late 1980's …. and so on

Right at this moment i'm kinda in an early 90's mood reminiscing about the days of waiting for a new Star Trek The Next Generation episode to premier … while HATING Babylon 5
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    I desperately miss 70s/80s shopping and mall culture.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Three things stand out for me in the 80s...

Movies, video arcades, and music.

80s culture for me was the mall culture, combined with the East Coast surf/skate scene. I was a punk and I loved it. But it was not idyllic. The late 80s brought me a lot of pain I carried into my teen years, and even into my 20s and beyond.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Those of you mentioning Mall Culture... did you watch Stranger Things 3? I thought it was splendid.

80s is so in right now, it's hard not to be nostalgic. But then I watch an old 70s Drive-In B-Movie like Supervan and I realize I am a child of both.

I recently binge watched V-The Series, and whoo boy does that bring back 80s memories.... some not so obvious.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS: