Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take for a toy line to be considered a success?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Ultimately it's longevity and/or profitability. If a line lasts more than 2 or 3 waves/series/years, it was pretty successful. If it doesn't last that long, but was a HUGE seller during it's brief run, it was also successful.

Showing up at closeout stories isn't really an indicator, as others said above. Often product that is actually selling is eliminated from stores due to new product coming in, and new layouts for that aisle being dictated by the parent company.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I think a line is successful if it connects with our inner child and brings out the accompanying unadulterated joy and happiness. If it can inspire just one child's imagination, then its a success.

Nah, its the money.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

I'm enjoying the responses...I find it interesting that some lines, like the 200x Masters of the Universe were considered a failure despite releasing over two dozen different characters, Battle Cat and Panthor, 8 vehicles and Castle Grayskull. They sold well...it was only the He-Man and Skeletor variants that didn't, and even that was only some of them. The Battle Armor versions were quite popular as I recall.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Poor distribution and bad case packing have killed many lines. I understand Super Powers was partially done in by bad case ratios, plus Kenner wading in too deep into the Fourth World characters and not giving the line known commodities like Riddler, Bizarro, Batgirl, Supergirl, etc. Whole cases of Darkseid, Penguin and Flash didn't help either.

Those horrible He-Man and Skeletor repaints in the 200X line hung around like Secret Wars Kang. The rest of the line seemed to move in my area.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎