X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Spending My Allowance on Nacho Cheese Doritos

For the first time in several decades, I had Nacho Cheese Doritos at lunch today. The smell and taste sent me back to the days when I was a kid and me and my best friend George would take whatever we could scrape up and buy terrible junk food at the local Wawa (inarguably, the best convenience store ever. so don't argue!) I mixed up my purchases, but my entree was usually a slim jim or those packaged cheese and crackers with the red spreading stick or maybe a couple of soft pretzels. I'd wash it down with a Tahitian Treat soda (like a carbonated fruit punch). If I had enough money, I'd also get a sweet. That could be anything from a casket of Dem Bones or a can of Trash Candy to a Marathon bar or pack of Caramel Creams to a satchel of Gold Rush or a Bubble Yum pack.

Did you have a convenience store/bodega crap/snack food go to when you were a kid? That is when you weren't buying Star Wars cards or Wacky Packages stickers?

Last edited by Wee67; Aug 23, '19, 5:27 PM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • megomania
    Persistent Member
    • Jan 2, 2010

7-11 for a Slurpee, penny candy and Pro Wrestling Illustrated/The Wrestler/Sports Illustrated/MAD. And sunflower seeds.

Occasionally went to Circle K but only if no 7-11 available.

-Chris

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

7-11 and Slurpee in a comic cup!

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

My drinks of choice, and remember this was the 70s, was Nehi Grape soda and a beverage called Chocolate Soldier. It was a precursor to Yoohoo I suppose. I always remembered buying a candy that was essentially a bag of sugar power with a dip stick also made of sugar. Can't recall the name but yeah I'd get those and some baseball cards for the ultimate childhood combo meal.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

It was down the street to Lawson's for comics and candy. The candy varied: Bazooka or Bubble-Yum, Marathon, Choco'Lite, Oh Henry, Twix, or Caramello bars. I liked the novelty candies, too: Gold Rush nugget gum in a bag, or the shaped tart candies in a plastic coffin or sarcophagus.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Had a mom and pop general store about half mile away growing up.

They used to have one of them huge floor freezers with glass top sliding doors filled with frozed iced cream treats

Used to always get an iced cream cone or a Tuscan pop … Sometime them little cups of iced cream that came with a wooden spoon

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Random Axe
              My drinks of choice, and remember this was the 70s, was Nehi Grape soda and a beverage called Chocolate Soldier. It was a precursor to Yoohoo I suppose. I always remembered buying a candy that was essentially a bag of sugar power with a dip stick also made of sugar. Can't recall the name but yeah I'd get those and some baseball cards for the ultimate childhood combo meal.
              It was Fun Dip.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes! My sister loved it, she was into all the sugary candies. She loved Pixy Stix and Pop Rocks, too.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

^ Oh, I went through tons of Pixy Stix’s.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I'll bet you liked those wax bottles filled with colored syrup, too lol. Remember the similar monster figurines, one had to bite off the head to drink the syrup.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

I did like those! Lol

By the way, I was just reminded that I also loved the Willy Wonka Wacky Wafers.

- Ian

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

What kind of monster goes decades without Doritos?

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

I prefer Doritos Taco flavor myself.
                          sigpic

Comment

• KLAATU
                            Museum Patron
                            • Feb 3, 2009

We had a convenience store called 6-12 (I guess they were trying to outdo 7-11). Favorite "weird" treats were harmonicas made out of an edible wax-like substance and wooden toothpicks soaked in spicy cinnamon flavor.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎