Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I do remember seeing the Clown Arounds at Kaybee when I was a kid. I didn't get any.

From what I remember Schleich Smurfs had been unofficially imported for sale in the US by card and gift shops previous to Wallace Berrie. Once Wallace Berrie started officially releasing the Smurf figures and houses in 79 they kind of hit the ground running and were immediately popular. Then two years later, when the cartoon came out, their popularity exploded and they became a pop culture phenomenon.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^When my mom's store got in new Smurfs, it was like the Stones were in town. Smurfs could do Ornament-style business all year long when there were new assortments coming in.

I still have a pretty good collection of Smurfs because of all of this. She'd bring me home almost every new one when they came out. I don't know what happened to my Mushroom Houses.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^When my mom's store got in new Smurfs, it was like the Stones were in town. Smurfs could do Ornament-style business all year long when there were new assortments coming in.
        I remember those Hallmark stores Smurf Collector's Center story displays. They were a thing a beauty.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I don't remember the clownarounds in Canada at all. Irwin who was Kenner Canada had the Astro-Sniks and they kicked butt with those. They were everywhere it seemed.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

I’ve been looking through photos of them on Google and I don’t remember them, at all. I thought maybe they would look slightly familiar, but nothing.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I remember the Snorks trying to mow the Smurfs grass, even if they both had HB cartoons. Snorks never really took off, and Smurfs was waning by that point too.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I remember the Snorks trying to mow the Smurfs grass, even if they both had HB cartoons.
                I liked the Astrosniks but the Snorks never really clicked with me. The cartoon wasn't very good and it kinda bugged me many of the girl Snorks were bald.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I rejected the Clown Arounds for political reasons.

I was a radical pre-teen back then and I preferred the economic Smurfeology. They had somehow progressed through the Dictatorship of the Smurfetariat and achieved a perfect commuSmurf society. Each contributed according to his ability, whether a cook or inventor or handy man. And each was given according to need from Phrygian caps to food to mushroom houses.

The Clown Around society was an exhibition in the demons of capitalist excesses. Their military/industrial-run Clown Around society was clearly controlled by overlords like Ronald Reaclown, Senator Clownhorn and General Clownton who squeezed resources from the middle class like Baker Clown and Butcher Clown so they could barely eke by. Things got so bad that the Divine Miss Clown and Ronnie the Roller Disco Queen Clown ended up walking the streets for Bad, Bad Leroy Clown. The future did not look good for Hookie Clown.
                  Last edited by Wee67; Aug 23, '19, 12:58 PM.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

lol Cute.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎