Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony and Marvel/Disney's partnership on Spidey coming to an end

Images
    Sony's statement on the matter:

Much of today's news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige's involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him - including all their newly added Marvel properties - do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Images
    I find it interesting that Sony used the phrase "IP they do not own". Well, Sony, Marvel/Disney DOES own Spider-Man. You just own the film rights. And you can't make a hit picture to save your lives nowadays.

There is NO doubt, the huge box office of Far From Home was riding on the heat from Endgame, with it being that film, and the MCU's first major arc's epilogue. Homecoming did well, but not these kind of numbers. Without that connection, I don't think a lot of people are going to care about another Spider-Man movie, not after we had it so good.

Plus, that cliffhanger...they better resolve that, but if they can't use MCU elements, I don't know what the point is?

Hopefully they get this straightened out.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by hedrap View Post
    Won't last. Neither side wins. Sony needs the MCU connection. Marvel needs Spider-Man.
    I agree.

Images
    It's a backdoor way of buying controlling interest over Spidey while not paying for ownership. Spidey is worth about a billion on his own.

Before the Russo's were given the Avengers they pitched a Spideyverse to Sony. Nothing stopping it now.

Blog Entries
    Sony hasn't made a decent movie with the character since 2. I thought the Marvel ones were good, not spectacular but this is a terrible plan.

Marvel actually got my butt into a theatre to see a Spider-Man movie again, haven't done that since (ugh) 3.

Images
    Little Rough Math.

FFH Budget: 160Mil (+Marketing 280Mil) = 440Mil
    Gross Return: 380 (Domestic) + 730 (Foreign) = 1.11Bil

Domestic Revenue Split - 60/40 (228/152 Sony/Theaters)
    International Revenue Split - 35/65 (292/438 Sony/Globe)

Disney's Current Take: 5% (of 520Mil) = 26Mil +ownership of all merchandise rights

Sony's Net Revenue: 520 - 26 - 440 = 54Mil

Disney's Offer: 50% Co-Finance (NOT Marketing costs)

Using the 50/50 split on FFH, Disney would put up 80M to Sony's 360M.

Notice how not one article has details on what Disney wants in return? Because it's way beyond 5%.

Disney needs Spidey because RDJ and Evans are gone. Because Lady Thor and Eternals have a very good chance of being bleh.

Disney wants to own Spidey without having to pay Sony for Spidey's rights or incur the marketing costs. Offer Sony 1Bil and they'll sell Spidey by the weekend. But they can't afford to do it after the Fox purchase and streaming ramp-up.

The other problem is Sony does not want to sell Spider-Man, it is there main cash cow. No other movies come close to what Spider-Man does.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Images
    Disney needs to "liberate" Spiderman by buying Sony Pictures.

I think we can all agree the person losing the most is Happy Hogan since he and Aunt May are officially broken up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
    I think we can all agree the person losing the most is Happy Hogan since he and Aunt May are officially broken up.
    I can think of one guy happy about that.