• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Sony and Marvel/Disney's partnership on Spidey coming to an end

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-f...er-1202672545/

Looks like a dispute has ended the partnership between Disney and Sony to share Spider-Man.Disney will no longer be involved in producing the Spider-Man and related character movies, and it's not likely Spidey will appear in any MCU movies moving forward.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Not sure what the sudden dispute between these two is, but it's basically just crappy news for Spidey fans all the way around. We FINALLY get the X-MEN, the FF and all the other FOX Marvel properties back into the MCU only to lose one of the flagship characters? Personally, I can't see it lasting. I think Disney/MARVEL will cough up the big $$$$$ needed to secure Spidey lock, stock and barrel or Disney will just basically say "You know, we bought FOX; we can buy you, too..." Either way, it would help to alleviate some of SONY's current financial woes....
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

This news makes me hopeful for the future of Spider-man.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

that stinks, I really like Spidey being in the MCU. he needs to be there. I like Holland in the role too. Sony just had their biggest blockbuster ever with Far From Home. they pull the plug here and they get maybe one more box office success and then it is back to ho hum crappy movies like ASM 1 & 2

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          This news makes me hopeful for the future of Spider-man.
          I'm with you. Yeah, I'll miss Spidey in the MCU, but I won't miss Disney's meddling and identity politics.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            that stinks, I really like Spidey being in the MCU. he needs to be there. I like Holland in the role too. Sony just had their biggest blockbuster ever with Far From Home. they pull the plug here and they get maybe one more box office success and then it is back to ho hum crappy movies like ASM 1 & 2
            I really liked ASM...but ASM2 was terrible.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Won't last. Neither side wins. Sony needs the MCU connection. Marvel needs Spider-Man.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                Won't last. Neither side wins. Sony needs the MCU connection. Marvel needs Spider-Man.
                The money they made of the joint venture will probably bring them back together again. Though it may take a few Sony failures to get there.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I hate that Sony got greedy with there one property that is making money thanks to Marvel. What bothers me most is there past deal, I cannot image more Sony Spider-verse movies without Spider-Man. Just how far can they go without him, and now we cannot see the potential of Marvel characters with Spider-verse characters.

Black Panther vs Kraven the Hunter
                  Kingpin showing up in the Spider-verse
                  Morbius The Living Vampire should be able to show up in the Adventures Of Fear (Ghost Rider & Helstorm)
                  Who has control of the Sinister Six now that most of them have shown up in the Marvel movies?

And do you trust Sony to do a good Spider-Man movie, there track record is great and Venom was far from a great movie.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• glimpy
                    Loco Chango
                    • Feb 5, 2012

Heard all about that b******* on the news last night.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Sony's statement on the matter:

Much of today's news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige's involvement in the franchise. We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film. We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him - including all their newly added Marvel properties - do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own. Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I find it interesting that Sony used the phrase "IP they do not own". Well, Sony, Marvel/Disney DOES own Spider-Man. You just own the film rights. And you can't make a hit picture to save your lives nowadays.

There is NO doubt, the huge box office of Far From Home was riding on the heat from Endgame, with it being that film, and the MCU's first major arc's epilogue. Homecoming did well, but not these kind of numbers. Without that connection, I don't think a lot of people are going to care about another Spider-Man movie, not after we had it so good.

Plus, that cliffhanger...they better resolve that, but if they can't use MCU elements, I don't know what the point is?

Hopefully they get this straightened out.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• phil
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by hedrap
                          I agree.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

It's a backdoor way of buying controlling interest over Spidey while not paying for ownership. Spidey is worth about a billion on his own.

Before the Russo's were given the Avengers they pitched a Spideyverse to Sony. Nothing stopping it now.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Sony hasn't made a decent movie with the character since 2. I thought the Marvel ones were good, not spectacular but this is a terrible plan.

Marvel actually got my butt into a theatre to see a Spider-Man movie again, haven't done that since (ugh) 3.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎