• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVintageToyKid
    Career Member
    • Jul 23, 2019

To open or not to open...

Hi,
    Recently I acquired both Bo and Luke Duke and they're still on the card. In spite of their age, I am tempted to open them so I can display them alongside my other Mego figures. What does everyone think? Should I open them or leave them carded?
    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Open!

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

I would leave them carded. I may be wrong, but I'm sure there are plenty of loose Bo and Luke Duke figures in the universe you can find cheap. I really don't know how plentiful or rare they are. I collect the Charlie's Angels Hasbro dolls, and I have both loose and carded. The carded ones are a more expensive, but the loose ones are cheaper. Plus, if you ever meet the Dukes, you can have them sign their carded figures. I met Cheryl Ladd at a book signing years ago, and she signed my carded Kris doll, so it's nice to display it. She got a smile out of it.IMG_20190819_145403.jpg
      Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 19, '19, 4:57 PM.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by RonnyG
        I would leave them carded. I may be wrong, but I'm sure there are plenty of loose Bo and Luke Duke figures in the universe you can find cheap. I really don't know how plentiful or rare they are. I collect the Charlie's Angels Hasbro dolls, and I have both loose and carded. The carded ones are a more expensive, but the loose ones are cheaper. Plus, if you ever meet the Dukes, you can have them sign their carded figures. I met Cheryl Ladd at a book signing years ago, and she signed my carded Kris doll, so it's nice to display it. She got a smile out of it.
        Well said. Unless they are on really damaged cards I'd keep em moc.

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

come on it's the Dukes, open them! There are plenty other chances to get them carded again if you feel bad about it. It's hard to find case fresh Megos so set them free

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
            Career Member
            • Jul 23, 2019

The cards are in fairly decent condition. In fact, they still include the price sticker. Whoever originally owned them bought them at Toys R Us for the marked down price of $1.97. each.
            "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

If you want to open them and enjoy them, open them. These are not investment figures.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

No don't open them, the open air will disintegrate them.

Like someone already said, if you wanted to find them loose on ebay, there
                pretty affordable, then you would have them loose and carded, but it's your decision.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 22, 2011

Do whatever you will get the most enjoyment out of. My primary collection is MIB / MOC because it's how I enjoy collecting but if I like a figure well enough I will buy another to open. It's your decision as to how you enjoy your collection.

Comment

• Palifan
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 18, 2016

If something has lasted this long unopened then I'd say leave it that way. If it is easy enough to pick these up loose then I'd do that and if after awhile I prefer them opened then you could always sell the carded ones.

Just my thoughts but it seems a shame to take any moc out of the market for someone else after all this time.

Ian

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Think about this way...

Imagine you open them and display. Think about that reality and ask yourself- do I feel bad for having broken the seal on cards that had stayed blissfully sealed for so long? OR do I really enjoy having them out and on display loose? It might help you decide what wold work best for you.

Personally, I like RonnyG's advice. ANother pair of loose figures should be pretty easy to obtain at a decent price.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Do whatever you makes YOU happy.

I just bought a carded Mattel Battlestar Galactica Lucifer for $200. As soon as it arrived I opened it. Some would call this crazy, or even asinine. I don't care. It's not simply about owning the figure for me. It's the EXPERIENCE of being the first person to hold that pristine mint figure in my hands. This is MY Lucifer figure. No one else has ever touched it. You can't put a price on that...it's not about the monetary value, it's about the pleasure it brings ME. I will display it proudly with all the other Battlestar figures I've opened. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 20, '19, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

I have struggled with this idea recently. But I have decided that if I ever find and purchase a boxed Parkdale Superman, it gets opened! Same with anything else I have a space that I can display. I'm getting older and holding onto carded toys isn't worth it for me.

Ultimately, do what you want, as long as you are enjoying your purchase.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            Do whatever you makes YOU happy.

I just bought a carded Mattel Battlestar Galactica Lucifer for $200. As soon as it arrived I opened it. Some would call this crazy, or even asinine. I don't care. It's not simply about owning the figure for me. It's the EXPERIENCE of being the first person to hold that pristine mint figure in my hands. This is MY Lucifer figure. No one else has ever touched it. You can't put a price on that...it's not about the monetary value, it's about the pleasure it brings ME. I will display it proudly with all the other Battlestar figures I've opened. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

• The Nawd
                              Nawd your head for yes.
                              • Feb 15, 2011

Do whatever that feels right to YOU. As long as you're enjoying them the way you want. Opened or unopened.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎