Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Black Hole on BluRay

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'll wait till it comes out on Yellow Ray
    Wise choice. It will be vastly superior. The black hole will literally suck pixels and resolution from the outer corners of your television.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE CARDS:

Images
    honestly, I have it on VHS and couldn't tell you the last time I watched it. I can't see buying another copy when I don't even watch the one I have. I guess I have to give it another viewing, it has been too long

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    My quite-expensive secondary-market DVD of The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh does not support your theory.
    Of course you may be right (I have that set too by the way). One thought I had too was that maybe they did this conversion while getting The Black Hole ready for the Disney streaming service coming up. I kinda feel like Scarecrow of Romney Marsh is so niche, even more so than The Black Hole, that it has received the only version it may ever receive. The Black Hole still has a following, somewhat.

Images
    I wonder how well the effects will show in high def on bluray. I mean they were pretty bad even on VHS. I went and watched it this afternoon. storyline is great but some of the effects are really primitive

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgiabuff View Post
    I wonder how well the effects will show in high def on bluray. I mean they were pretty bad even on VHS. I went and watched it this afternoon. storyline is great but some of the effects are really primitive
    Some of the effects are showing their age, even in 1979, but the matte paintings are gorgeous as is the black hole itself!

Images
    Most of the ship shots (especially the Cygnus) was filmed the old fashioned way -- in camera model in front of space backdrop .

It's why so many space shots don't have the slightest bluescreen lines

Computers were all backlit painted glass so again, no bluescreen lines

The biggest drawback about the original Disney VHS release was the sloppy job they did trying to make a letterbox movie to full screen.

A Bluray release would be ok if they set the color and contrast correctly --- If too bright you might see the models' rigging stands
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    At the time I got my DVD copy,I wasn't worried about a Blu-Ray version. I was like "$5? Can't pass that up." Also got Tron and The Rocketeer when they had the sale. It's the only reason I keep my Disney Movie Club Membership. That and when they have their $7 Blu-Ray sales.

Images
    I like the Black Hole saw it when I was 15, then when I was 30, might watch it again when I'm 45.

My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I have to say it was a huge letdown.

Disney put absolutely ZERO effort into this release. With a few exceptions the film itself doesn't look that much better than my recollection of the DVD,
    and unlike the DVD, there are no bonus features at all...not even a trailer.

Even the packaging and menu screen are lackluster and completely uninspired.
    Very disappointed that Disney didn't give this film the love and respect it deserves. I expected better from them.

For comparison, here's the Blu-ray, (top) next to the DVD. Not much improvement IMO and hardly worth the trade off on all the great bonus material from the DVD.

Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 24, '19 at 9:32 PM.

Images
    Hopefully one day this movie will get the Blu-ray treatment it deserves. Until then, I'll stick with my Anchor Bay and Buena Vista DVD editions.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).