Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Most of the ship shots (especially the Cygnus) was filmed the old fashioned way -- in camera model in front of space backdrop .

It's why so many space shots don't have the slightest bluescreen lines

Computers were all backlit painted glass so again, no bluescreen lines

The biggest drawback about the original Disney VHS release was the sloppy job they did trying to make a letterbox movie to full screen.

A Bluray release would be ok if they set the color and contrast correctly --- If too bright you might see the models' rigging stands

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

At the time I got my DVD copy,I wasn't worried about a Blu-Ray version. I was like "$5? Can't pass that up." Also got Tron and The Rocketeer when they had the sale. It's the only reason I keep my Disney Movie Club Membership. That and when they have their $7 Blu-Ray sales.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

I like the Black Hole saw it when I was 15, then when I was 30, might watch it again when I'm 45.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

My Blu-ray arrived yesterday and I have to say it was a huge letdown.

Disney put absolutely ZERO effort into this release. With a few exceptions the film itself doesn't look that much better than my recollection of the DVD,
          and unlike the DVD, there are no bonus features at all...not even a trailer.

Even the packaging and menu screen are lackluster and completely uninspired.
          Very disappointed that Disney didn't give this film the love and respect it deserves. I expected better from them.

For comparison, here's the Blu-ray, (top) next to the DVD. Not much improvement IMO and hardly worth the trade off on all the great bonus material from the DVD.

Last edited by enyawd72; Aug 24, '19, 9:32 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Hopefully one day this movie will get the Blu-ray treatment it deserves. Until then, I'll stick with my Anchor Bay and Buena Vista DVD editions.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

That is a bummer, just last night a friend of mine sent me pics of a project he's been working on that will celebrate the Black Hole's 40th in a big way and it gave me hope it was related to this disk.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                That is a bummer, just last night a friend of mine sent me pics of a project he's been working on that will celebrate the Black Hole's 40th in a big way and it gave me hope it was related to this disk.
                My understanding is that Disney just doesn't "get" The Black Hole. They don't understand it's popularity and are actually rather embarrassed by it. They don't consider it one of their "classics" and as such don't really care to do much with it.
                I'm completely shocked that there are new Black Hole figures coming out. Maybe if more companies seek to license it Disney will wake up and realize they have a little gem on their hands.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Black Hole was always known as Disney's cash-in on Star Wars re-using their own 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea plot

Now that they own Star Wars I fear the Black Hole will literally disappear

To the high ups I think it's an embarrassment because Disney was copying a trend and not making one.

Comment

• Allie Fox
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 1, 2009

I know it's a bit "off" for this thread but episode 53 of Pod Stallions brings in David Weiner to discuss everything Black Hole with Brian and Jason. It is very insightful and one of the best episodes of the podcast. Highly recommended.

For our 53rd show, we are joined once again by former Famous Monsters editor and current host of " It Came From Blog " Mr David Weiner...

By the way... I know David is a busy guy but the more often he can be a guest the better. 😉
                    The Dune episode was another treat.
                    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎