X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

The Black Hole on BluRay

It was mentioned before that The Black Hole was finally coming out on BluRay.

It's a Disney Movie Club exclusive, but these are showing up on eBay, and some are selling for quite a bit.

Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

So a couple of things to note:

The Disney Movie Club is very confusing. But basically, you can get in and out for about $70-$80 for 6 Blu Rays. But Black Hole is not yet eligible for one of your introductory Blu Rays. There's a thread on BluRay.com that explains the Disney Movie Club and how to get in and out efficiently.

I am going to wait a little while on this. I'd like to see if Something Wicked This Way Comes or Watcher in the Woods makes it to the Club. Also want Black Hole to be "eligible".

Also, the Overture that plays before the credits has been found on the disc with computer Blu Ray drives... but it is not playable with any set top Blu ray Player. Very odd. It's on there, but you can't see it. Also, instead of playing against the star field, it is on a black screen. There may or may not be a correction from Disney, but probably not.

At any rate, I will wait a month or two. I have another Hi Def copy to watch to tide me over if I want while I wait it out.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

I took the plunge and bought it off Ebay. I would honestly rather pay a scalper than sign up for Disney's club and give them one cent more of my money than I have to.

It's a principles thing. I don't agree with their adding politics to everything and their censorship.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I picked up one on eBay as well. If you look at completed auctions they are going for a decent amount. I found a buy it now that was just listed and was reasonable.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by drquest
          I picked up one on eBay as well. If you look at completed auctions they are going for a decent amount. I found a buy it now that was just listed and was reasonable.
          Same here...now if they will just release The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh on Blu-ray I can forget Disney exists...LOL.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Disney is all about making lots of money.

My gut tells me that they will use this to maybe get an influx into their movie club, and after that plays out, it will become available other places. Just guessing.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by YoungOnce

My gut tells me that they will use this to maybe get an influx into their movie club, and after that plays out, it will become available other places. Just guessing.
              You may be right...I considered that possibility, but just in case they don't, I figure secondary market prices will only go up.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by YoungOnce

My quite-expensive secondary-market DVD of The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh does not support your theory.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

If you're already a Member of the Club,you can get this for $12.95. The drawback to that however,is you have to buy another Blu-Ray at full price.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I'll wait till it comes out on Yellow Ray

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
                      I'll wait till it comes out on Yellow Ray
                      Wise choice. It will be vastly superior. The black hole will literally suck pixels and resolution from the outer corners of your television.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

honestly, I have it on VHS and couldn't tell you the last time I watched it. I can't see buying another copy when I don't even watch the one I have. I guess I have to give it another viewing, it has been too long

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          My quite-expensive secondary-market DVD of The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh does not support your theory.
                          Of course you may be right (I have that set too by the way). One thought I had too was that maybe they did this conversion while getting The Black Hole ready for the Disney streaming service coming up. I kinda feel like Scarecrow of Romney Marsh is so niche, even more so than The Black Hole, that it has received the only version it may ever receive. The Black Hole still has a following, somewhat.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I wonder how well the effects will show in high def on bluray. I mean they were pretty bad even on VHS. I went and watched it this afternoon. storyline is great but some of the effects are really primitive

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              I wonder how well the effects will show in high def on bluray. I mean they were pretty bad even on VHS. I went and watched it this afternoon. storyline is great but some of the effects are really primitive
                              Some of the effects are showing their age, even in 1979, but the matte paintings are gorgeous as is the black hole itself!
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡