Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The nostalgia driven MOTUC line was enormous success. It lasted from 2008 to 2019. The 2002 reboot lasted 2 years. To put it in perspective that's a year less than the New Adventures line.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

That was due to Mattel putting no faith behind it. I assure you, in sheer numbers, 2002 moved more units. It was a retail line.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I heavily collected the 2002 line. But it did not sell well. Smash Blade He-Man and Spin Blade Skeletor collected dust on the pegs for ages. The last assortment with Snake Armor He-Man got liquidated at the Aldi grocery chain because no one else would touch it. It killed MOTU at retail. It was the least successful MOTU line of all time. New Adventures sold better. I'm not knocking the 2002 line, again I heavily collected it, but I have to be honest and realistic about it's performance at retail.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Those variants were exhausting and frequently stupid. Particularly in relation to con exclusives like Keldor, Faker, and Moss Man that could have given the retail line some collector longevity at retail.

And I resented them even more when I saw the staction releases.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            Those variants were exhausting and frequently stupid. Particularly in relation to con exclusives like Keldor, Faker, and Moss Man that could have given the retail line some collector longevity at retail.
            Hah, yeah, I have to admit I picked up all the exclusives and so help me I even bought the infamous "Disco Skeletor" repaint. The slew of hideous repaints and chase figures did that line no favors.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Lol I have that Skeletor, too. I was like, "Ooh, chrome! Collectible!!" And now I think, "How dumb, what was I thinking? " But I was desperate for some MOTU.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

The repaints were crap, but I remember when they launched the line, there was an entire aisle full of it, and it got absolutely picked over twice. So while later waves might have been handled poorly, that launch was phenomenal. So, we can pretend it was a failure, but I know what I saw, and I know what I know.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I watched the Pixel Dan interview last night. Smith certainly seems sincere. I will keep a small glimmer of hope that he is.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                    I was not referring to the names, which didn't bother me. Merely the sequence of events and character relationships.
                    My favorite part was when the brand manager ham fisted himself into the storyline and made his character bridge the gap between a variety of different core parts of the mythos.

Honestly, I found almost all of the MOTUC "storytelling" downright dreadful. Not that 200X did anyone any favors either. Things like Keldor really sucked (even if it was hinted at in the mini comics, it didn't need to be done the way it was) and let's be honest Filmation wasn't very good either, lol.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      A couple more examples.

The Jem and the Hologram movie had nothing to do with the source material other than the names of the characters. Kids still hated it and so did fans of the property. The Jem reboot tanked so hard it killed the property.

Gi Joe movies were terrible and killed GI JOE at retail. The brand still hasn't recovered.

Appealing to new fans and being respectful to the source material doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.
                      BINGO!! We have a winner!!

Why does MOTU need to change at all? Is anyone going to tell me a colorful fantasy series with sorcery, technology, monsters, robots, epic heroes and villains wouldn't appeal to kids today just as it did in 1981? Cause if so I'm not buying it.

They could re-run the old Filmation series as if it were brand new on Disney XD and it would be as big today as it was back then. I guarantee it. I gave my boss' grandson my He-Man 10 best episodes DVD a few years back and he DEVOURED it. The boy became obsessed with He-Man after just a couple episodes.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72

Why does MOTU need to change at all?
                        One big advantage MOTU has over other properties, like GI JOE or M.A.S.K., is it exists in its own time and reality. So MOTU doesn't have to adapt to changes in technology or fashion. It doesn't really get out of date.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          One big advantage MOTU has over other properties, like GI JOE or M.A.S.K., is it exists in its own time and reality. So MOTU doesn't have to adapt to changes in technology or fashion. It doesn't really get out of date.
                          I couldn't agree more...it's perfect as-is.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎