Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I don't have a lot of faith in the project to be honest. As popular as 80s cartoons are they have a miserable record of adapting the source material. My fear is it will be either totally unrecognizable or come off as an ridiculously violent gross out humor parody of the cartoon.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

Interesting but don’t think I’d be going interested in seeing this. I’m fine with the Filmation Show.

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by enyawd72
        I found it very convoluted and I hated about 80% of the "real names" they gave the characters.
        I was not referring to the names, which didn't bother me. Merely the sequence of events and character relationships.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Every time I hear the word reimagined or reboot I assume it’ll suck. Mainly because it always does. I really don’t expect to like this.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

I loved the original as a kid, but can't sit through an episode now......way too juvenile for me. which I know was the point, but the adult me can't watch it now. I tried the reboot, was pretty much the same. I actually would not mind a more adult oriented version.....I don't mean the usual Smith potty jokes. just more adult oriented action/fantasy cartoon

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

To each their own. I still love the original MOTU series. I personally don't want an adult MOTU. Some more action, sure. But not violence and He-Man should never kill. MOTU isn't and should never be Game of Thrones. MOTU should always remain PG rated.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                Every time I hear the word reimagined or reboot I assume it’ll suck. Mainly because it always does. I really don’t expect to like this.
                Man, you must hate Silver Age DC then, with all those reimagined/rebooted Golden Age characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Atom, etc.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brown Bear
                  Still Old School
                  • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by MRP
                  Man, you must hate Silver Age DC then, with all those reimagined/rebooted Golden Age characters like Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Atom, etc.

-M
                  I’ll take that shot. But you made my point. I like the version I had as a kid, not the one before. Not the one after. To each their own smart guy.
                  Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

DC comics is coming out with a MOTU comic called Masters of The Multiverse

Comment

• B-Lister
                      Eccentric Weirdo
                      • Mar 19, 2010

I was the target age group for the original.

Looking back, it's just saccharine garbage. I liked the MYP series WAAAAY Better, except in those few instances where the ep was clearly trying to sell a new toy.
                      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                        I’ll take that shot. But you made my point. I like the version I had as a kid, not the one before. Not the one after. To each their own smart guy.
                        The thing is, the same is true of people who were born after us, to them, the versions they encountered first are the legitimate ones to them, not the ones that came before that we like, or the ones that will come after that future generations will like. There should be room in fandom for people to like different versions of things based on what resonates with them (or their generation). And companies aren't going to survive long or remain profitable making versions that exclusively appeal to the over 35 demographic.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
                          And companies aren't going to survive long or remain profitable making versions that exclusively appeal to the over 35 demographic.
                          They can also reboot something without dumping on the source material and overall sucking. For example we got 6 Transformers movies and they all sucked except for the last one, Bumblebee. Bumblebee was the closest to the source material and it appealed to kids. A win-win. It saved the live action Transformers movie franchise.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I think it's all in how it's handled. I don't rule anything out, I appreciate both traditional roots and clever (but considerate) innovation. I've found things to admire and enjoy in gold, silver, bronze, and modern comics. I'm a little more wary (and weary) of superhero films.

I was an older collector of vintage MOTU (jr. high & high school.) I consider my self a big fan. But I liked the mini-comics and did not follow the Filmation series. I don't much care for it now except the voice work.

I really enjoyed the MY series--its toy line (which I aggressively collected), not so much. That line was a placeholder for me; Origins will be the real deal.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

A couple more examples.

The Jem and the Hologram movie had nothing to do with the source material other than the names of the characters. Kids still hated it and so did fans of the property. The Jem reboot tanked so hard it killed the property.

Gi Joe movies were terrible and killed GI JOE at retail. The brand still hasn't recovered.

Appealing to new fans and being respectful to the source material doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

Comment

• B-Lister
                                Eccentric Weirdo
                                • Mar 19, 2010

There's a fine line between being respectful to the original, and being shackled by it. I usually prefer an homage up to the point where fans demand it change to adhere to their nostalgia. It's what ruined DC Comics in the early 2000s. And ruined the MOTU property for me entirely. Don't get me started on Star Wars.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎