Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libby 1957dog
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 3, 2009

posted about these guys before but this thread is the perfect place for a repost

shane rimmer , shane was a lovely fella ,had a warmth about him that made you feel like you'd been pals for years
    i used to see him a couple of times a year when stalling out on the memorabilia circuit in the uk

he had no airs or graces ,and i never saw him with a entourage ,and if hes wasn't booked by the organisers hed just book a table and drive down and set up ,ive had the pleasure of being next table and lugging his stuff in for him a couple of times

gave me a insight into his life and the true nature of celebrity through our conversations ,last time i saw him to talk to ,his son or son in law had just got him half a days work as the guy at the gotham city water station in batman beyond,sitting for half a day in a minimal set ,alone but for a minimal camera crew ,saying a couple of lines , no entourage ,no craft services no limo ,just a guy driving to work saying his stuff and driving home ,a real peek behind the curtain moment for me

van williams met mr Williams in florida back at a fx show in the early 90s ,spent a bit of time with him at the organisers Mike Hertzs home at a after show superbowl party ,not sure if he was messing with me ,the only english man in the room ,but he told me he walked away from hollywood and acting and joined the LAPD and was working as a detective at the time we met ,as i said not sure if he was pulling my p*sser or not : ,but i believed him and thought it was a great story and repeated it often
    he was a lovely bloke a great story teller and good company

and as phil says "Caroline Munro-an extremely gracious lady and another person who truly appreciates her fans." shes lovely ,i often used to have the table next to her at shows and parked my car in the next space in the car park next to hers ,so we had plenty of time to chat and often had long conversations during the course of the weekend ,she has a daughter about the same age as my son chris ,so we,d talk about everything from her life in showbiz to kids, school ,and homework

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

Jerry Ordway is a nice fellow, a gentleman.

comic wise, besides Jerry.

Mark Waid has always been nice

my Sensei: Len Strazewski is funny.

Don Kramer is cool

Leonard Kirk is cool

Steve Sadowski is cool

Met Patrick Duffy at SD many eons ago way before He even released his MAN FROM ATLANTIS novel-continuation. way super nice!!

Sid & Marty Krofft are god and they are pretty much one of the MAIN reasons why I got to SD just to see & hear their panel!

Lloyd Kaufman is a joke.

Paul Levitz was drunk on a Saturday night at SD and me and some friends went over to chat and I told him
      "DC SPECIAL # 29 is the GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD!!!" we talked about that for 1/2 an hour!

Martin Nodell was okay, his wife is very business orientated; God rest both their souls.

Harry Lampert was very nice.

Joe Staton (A fave!) was very nice.

Harvey Pekar was brilliant, I miss that man and wish he were still here, writing such great stories

and now for my other life...

John Wetton-briefly met him at HOB after an ASIA show in 2006, but he made himself "open" to his fans on his website. Someone else who was a big part of my life, who i miss. RIP

George Lynch- brilliant, always gives so much to his supporters

Ronnie James Dio- miss him a lot, meet him in 1988! after a gig at the UIC Pavillion and he and the band were class acts.

Paul Gilbert- a goof! brilliant, lovely guy.

Vernon Reid- a gentleman and a great conversationalist. Spent a half hour talking about Shawn Lane!!

Ginger Baker- despite what you have or heard or have seen the doc: "Beware of Mr. Baker" Ging is nice when treated with RESPECT!! one of my ultimate heroes. And I lived to tell the tale!

There's more but, would be interesting for a "Who's the biggest ****head thread"

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Virgil

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

By far, the nicest celeb I ever met was Mister Dressup when I was seven.

He played a show at St Pat's High School and my Dad got us tickets as he was the janitor there back then. I hung around after the show for my Dad to finish up and out walks Mr Dressup with a leather jacket and salt and pepper hat. He sat with me for what felt like a half hour, just chatting. He took a poster off the wall and autographed it, then jumped up on stage and picked up feathers and elastics from the show and taped them to the poster for me too.

He took his time to make me feel special and I've never forgotten that. Years later, when I was in grade nine we had a project whereby we had to write a letter (yeah, not email) to someone that was kind to us that didn't have to be and say thank you. He immeditaley came to mind and I sent off my letter. To my surprise, I received a hand written letter back, saying he remembered meeting me and my brothers and even included an autograph. This letter hangs with pride in my man cave today as a prized possession.

Ernie Combs was a kind man who took time to make a seven year old Canadian kid feel like his best friend.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

A lot of those mentioned hit the convention circuit quite regularly. I'll agree with all those that posted Yvonne Craig, George Takei, Erin Gray Marina Sirtis and of course Adam West.

When you're at a show that's slow, you get the chance to actually get to know these guys a bit and get a real sense of personality.

I'll add a few
            Davy Jones. Saw him about a month before he passed away. Very lively, fun guy
            Jonathan Frakes. I was always kind of "Me'h" about his character, but I found him the most genuine, charming and warm celebrity I ever met.
            Walter Koenig. Completely does not seem like a guy who was ever famous/semi-famous. He's like Old Walter that lives down the street.
            Richard Hatch. Very appreciative of his fans and the BSG mythos.
            Julie Newmar. Perhaps a bit airy, but still engaging and sweet.
            Christoper Reeve. 1981ish. Just a nice guy, very polite.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mikey
              Virgil

he's just so elusive!
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• classicgalacticalover
                • Feb 19, 2010

I know some will probably scoff, but the nicest celebrity I ever met was David Hasselhoff. It was towards the last half of the first season of Knight Rider and he was appearing all weekend at a car show in Charlotte NC. I could not go on Saturday because of work. I was 19 at the time and I decided that I would miss church and go Sunday morning to get in line and meet him. I arrived at 11 and he was supposed to come out at 1 and you got a free 8x10 with your name on it and he would sign the photo we you got up to him. You would be allowed to ask one question shake his hand get your picture signed and then move on to keep things rolling. I was fifth in line and the four women in front of me and been there the previous day and were going on and on about meeting him. He was twenty minutes late coming out and when he did he apologized for the lateness but explained he had been on the phone with his agent and was just told they had been picked up for a second season. When my turn came he asked me if I had a question and I told him no but could they tell the boom man to try harder to keep the mike out of the scenes. He laughed and told me that actually had been addressed. I then told him that I had every episode on video and he said "Really? I don't even have them all taped." I said I bet I know which ones and we started talking about some of the goofy things on the show like when KITT bull fought a steer. He said he was so against that scene but he had to do what the bosses told him to do. We were laughing and talking away. He then told me to come around the table and we could continue talking. I was so in awe. We talked for almost half an hour about the technical aspects of the show. I realized I was taking up a lot of his time I told him that I could sit there all day but I did not think I was being fair to the other people there. He understood and then told me to keep watching for an upcoming episode he and his girlfriend Catherine Hicks had just done and that they were really proud of the episode. I decided to walk around the car show for awhile and we I was leaving I had to pass his table and he happened to look up and saw me leaving and yelled thanks for coming and he really enjoyed talking to me and to be careful going home. The best celebrity experience of my life. Still have the picture he signed.
                Others that lived up to my meeting them are Richard Hatch, Scott Bakula, Shatner and Nimoy, Adam West, Marks Goddard and Hamill and my hero growing up Robert Conrad. These guys knew what being heroes were all about.
                Last edited by classicgalacticalover; Aug 20, '19, 10:22 AM. Reason: misspelled a word

Comment

• classicgalacticalover
                  • Feb 19, 2010

Meant to say "when I was leaving the show" not "we I was leaving" sorry my typing got ahead of me.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

I forgot one good one. Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo). I don't know if it was an act or not, but he was the same in person as on TV. It was at a small opening for a new company daycare facility being opened in Miami, where I lived at the time. A very gracious and endearing man. RIP.

I'll also add Scott Adams (Dilbert). I was at a tech conference in San Francisco about 1999, and he was the keynote speaker. After we spoke, we all starting having dinner at our various conference room tables, but he was at a table by himself. So I watched about 5 minutes and decided to join him, as it appeared the conference organizers forgot about him. He was just like everyone other tech nerd ever, except he made it big with his cartoon. It was a fun dinner.

Comment

• Random Axe
                      The Voice of Reason
                      • Apr 16, 2008

When I was working for a comic company and travelling to cons I got to sit down with a bunch of cool creators, most before they actually took off. Kevin Smith was in a booth next to ours and I had zero idea who he was at the time. At the time, Image has just burst onto the scene and those guys had their own entourage and huge crowds so I had no interaction with them at all. After one of our shows on Saturday night a bunch of us went to a Chinese place for dinner and Peter Cullen, the voice of Optimus Prime was with us. We made him recite the menu in that voice.

Aside from that I suppose my only real celebrity encounters were when I worked for a regional airline Com-Air. It was a Delta connector airline based out of our hub here in Cincinnati. I saw and talked to many wrestlers passing through onto their next shows. That was pretty cool to share a shuttle bus with the Bushwhackers. But I think my favorite interaction was William Shatner.

I was working the late shift and our last flight was to Lexington at 1130PM. Someone brought the passengers out to the plane earlier than they should have so I'm standing out there taking baggage from all three people and there he was. He commented on the small size of the plane and I think I responded telling him it's only a ten minute flight so it should feel like warp factor 3. I immediately regretted those words but he smiled and patted me on the shoulder and he needed the humor as it was a long day. He was headed to his horse farm for a short vacation. He was pretty genuine and cordial without a crowd around him hounding for autographs.
                      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

I got a chance to meet Randy Jackson and Felix Hanemann from Zebra last night after their show. both were very gracious. Felix even pulled a guitar pick out of his pocket to give my wife because we were several rows back and did not get one as he tossed them during the show.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎