X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Celebrities who are positive to meet at shows thread

We all hear horror stories of celebs that are rude or just checked out at cons/expos but let's hear it for the ones who are present and friendly at these things. Here are a few off the top of my head, I'm keeping this to living people.

Gil Gerard- Good dude, you can tell he wants to be there. Very personable.

Marc Singer- shook my hand, learned my name, i really enjoyed meeting him.

Lee Majors- I didn't meet him but i've never heard anyone say he wasn't a great guy.

Jeff Smith (creator of the comic "Bone")- this was a free signing and there was a big "NO SKETCHES" sign, he drew sketches in both of my kid's books without being asked, they both were little and it made their day.

Colin Baker- We actually just rode an elevator together but he is so not the sixth doctor.

Tim Thomerson- Gave my wife gum!

Jeffery Combes- Put up with drunk Brian once, he's a saint.

Keir Dulleau- Really down to earth man.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Don Marshall (RIP) … Nicest celeb EVER

David Carradine (RIP) … Met him at Chiller when he was promoting Kill Bill … I was the 5th-ish person in line on his first day so he was very fresh and enthused

Robert Culp (RIP) … Is NOTHING like his characters … Just a normal guy

Richard Kiel (RIP) … see Robert Culp

Wow, just noticed everybody I like are now dead ...

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

I attended several Dark Shadows festivals when they were held on the West Coast, and the cast would sign your photos or programs for free. They seemed to enjoy being there, too, and they were friendly and sociable if you encountered them in the hallways. If the autograph lines got too long, some of the actors would get up and walk down the line and and sign your photo. I realize they weren't big movie stars, so maybe that's why they were more humble.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

John Wesley Shipp - Super friendly and engaged, and takes the time to personally talk to you. Wonderful experience.

Kevin Conroy - Gracious and great with my kids, he generously took time to get up from his table to get a good picture with the whole family.

Loren Lester - Voice of Robin/Nightwing to Conroy's Batman, he was just as nice and humorously ribbed Conroy a bit for a minor gaf in signing the Robin action figure I earmarked for him to sign. We got a nice Batman and Robin picture that way!

Jackson Bostwick - Very knowledgable about the character of Captain Marvel outside of his show, and super friendly.

Ricou Browning - Very nice gentleman and appreciative of the fact my daughter was a Creature fan, and sympathized with the character.

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez - Soft-spoken and very humble, but extremely kind and generous with his time.

Jerry Ordway - Ready to have a pretty long conversation with you as he signs. Great guy.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Frank gorshi was the friendliest celebrity I talked to at a show. My friend stopped him on his way out to lunch. I thought he shouldn't have. But frank turned and chatted and posed for a pic -no charge.

Marc McClure posed for a pic taking a picture of me in super suit and Margot kidder while my brother took a pic of that. No charge.

Gerard Christopher talked to me for a considerable time. Some about superbly, but mostly about triathlons. I did buy a couple videos and he had no visitors while we talked.

Note that all 3 of those were in the 90's, before celebrity appearances were big money / long waits.

Lou ferrigno has always been extremely friendly at the Arnold fitness classic. But at comic cos not as eager to mix.

Most comic creators have been great. I have talked many time with that famous cartoonist who did Tiny Titans for DC.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I'll second Marc Singer. I was the only person at a bust of a show who went to see him. Ended up getting him pizza.

Bruce Campbell - During AOD press, sat down and we had a hot dog at a con. Lotta Darkman talk.

Angus Scrimm - Like talking to a grandfather.

Doug Bradley - He's a theater actor at heart. All I had to say was he needed to work more with talent like Lance Henriksen and he stepped away from the table to talk about actors.

Dick Warlock - Cowboy.

I got Sid Haig to just light up because of a cultural connection. The mom from Friday the 13th used to treat my brother's kids like they were her grandchildren.
            The key is to make connection beyond what they're there for.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

I have very limited experience, but these 3 were very warm, friendly and gracious to me:

-George Takei
              -Marina Sirtis
              -Dave Gibbons - comic book artist, Watchmen, sketched Rorschach & autographed my Watchmen hardcover

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

Well I just went to a con this past weekend in my town and met Karen Allen, Kelly Hu and Lea Thompson.All were very nice Lea especially shook your hand,eye contact,conversed and had a great photo with her. One celeb who was super nice and was very cool to talk to was wrestler hacksaw Jim Dugan.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

I have 2 that were absolutely great.

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley: I met them at the same time at a book signing in New York. The both shook my hand, and even tho they were distracted a bit by the guy in front of me being a complainer, as soon as I started talking, they gave me full attention.

Tim Cappello: He was the muscular sax player in Lost Boys and he was so cool! We took crazy pics doing muscle poses!! Ha!! He is just awesome!
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Frank gorshi was the friendliest celebrity I talked to at a show. My friend stopped him on his way out to lunch. I thought he shouldn't have. But frank turned and chatted and posed for a pic -no charge.
                    Had great interactions with Gorshin twice. My wife has a wonderful pic where she's kissing him on the cheek and he has a big smile on his face.

Adam West was equally great. Even though he was in his late 60s, his voice worked on Cindy. She was instantly charmed. He was great with both of us. I've heard others had less-than-great experiences, but I have nothing but great memories meeting my childhood hero.

Also...David Prowse. I know he's often #1 on the list of difficult con guests you find on the internet, but I spent two separate days as his gopher when he signed twice at the comic shop I worked at in college. He was a bit reserved at first, but always polite, and he really opened up after a bit. I engaged him about training Christopher Reeve, and that got him talking about his time as the Green Cross Safety Man for the British children's road safety campaign. He lit up like a well...light saber over that. I barely mentioned Star Wars too him, and he seemed very appreciative of that!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Frank Gorshin was the guest once at this totally snowed in con in Buffalo I went to once. The hall was empty and he looked miserable, he was smoking too, it turned out to be tremendously fun to talk to miserable Frank Gorshin. He was being really catty but enjoying holding court with the five people in the room.

I also spent an hour with Van Williams in the late 1990s, he's just a really nice, humble human being.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

I think that I am forgetting a person or two, but I have really not many celebs, in any form.

Here is a small list of some more notable celebs that I’ve met and observations:

Randolph Mantooth: Extremely nice. I enjoyed meeting him.

Robert Fuller: Great guy. Very generous with his fans.

Michael Jordan (1989): Quite friendly. Very giving of his limited time. It was a great experience.

James Taylor: Couldn’t have been nicer. He’s also very attentive and accommodating with his fans, from what I saw. Additionally, he seemed very down to earth. You didn’t get the idea that he has ever been “Hey, I’m James Taylor!”

Jackson Browne: I met him at a Barnes & Nobles in 2002. We had a great conversation. I certainly was not disappointed. From what I observed, he was very generous with all of his fans. Before this meeting, I read that he collected footage of his old performances. It so happened that I was able to get a couple of VHS Master copies from a show he did, in Chicago, of PBS’s series “Sound Stage” from 1976. He really appreciated that.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

A few names (of celebrities still living) that immediately spring to mind are:
                          Bruce Boxleitner
                          Dave Prowse
                          Jeremy Bulloch
                          Garrick Hagon
                          Brian Blessed
                          Herbert Jefferson Jr.
                          Anthony Daniels
                          Last edited by Bruce Banner; Aug 15, '19, 3:40 PM.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

The most memorable one was Marina Sirtis hugging me way back in 1988, Los Angeles convention, the first one involving the Next Generation...I wanted to marry her right there on the spot, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

Ditto on Jackson Bostwick
                              Best celeb I ever met was Yvonne Craig. Super nice and thankful that people stood in line to meet her. She seemed genuine and actually spent time talking with each person

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎