Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I've only been to one convention, where I met Jim Steranko. He was very generous with his time, we had a great conversation about The Shadow and Kavalier & Klay. A reasonable autograph on my Shadow paperback, too.

I'm pleased to hear well of Van Williams. I'd love to meet Jackson Bostwick.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

I met Sam J Jones a couple years ago and he was nice and funny..A guy behind was getting a Spirit DVD signed and he recognized it as a bootleg.Marina Sirtis I met.Patrick Stewart was literally in my neighborhood at a bookstore when he was here performing "A Christmas Carol"

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

I've heard nothing but good things about Alan Oppenheimer. A genuinely nice person.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^I've seen footage of him at cons, he seems to be having a ball.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i don't go to cons, but when I get a chance to see a show at Daryls House, the artist usually comes out afterwards for meet and greet. every one I have met so far has been appreciative of the fans and very gracious
            Denny Laine
            John Sebastian
            Kip Winger
            Tommy Heath (Tommy Tutone)

Comment

• MysteryWho
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 16, 2008

I don't think I've had a truly bad experience with a celebrity. Some amusing and awkward moments, particularly with guests who are "checked out" as you said.
              My best experiences were with...
              William Shatner... I asked him about Incubus, a strange little film he made in the late 60s, and asked him to autograph my figure in Esperanto(Incubus was filmed in Esperanto), which elicited a smile.
              Lee Majors... he shook my hand and was genuinely friendly. I mainly discussed his participation in the stuntwork on SMDM, which he seemed to enjoy.
              John Saxon... also very pleasant and genuine. Talked a little about the Gene Roddenberry pilots.
              Keir Dullea... really nice guy, I talked to him about a couple of little Canadian films he did, including Welcome to Blood City and Paperback Hero.
              Ken Foree was also pretty nice, everybody else I can think of right now was just going through the motions or worse.
              I was going to avoid mentioning deceased people, but there are two people that I have such great things to say about. First George Romero, who, despite being stuck at the Con and missing the baseball game (although I did give him an update on what I saw on TV when I was out at lunch) he chatted about sub-text in his films and as I walked away shouted "Thanks for noticing!" in a really genuine, appreciative way. Second, Yvonne Craig was very sweet to my friend's daughter and gave her a lot of attention.

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

I have to second (or third) Yvonne Craig as one of the nicest celebrity encounters I've had, and I wasn't even in line to buy her autograph. I was just passing by her table, and she was alone, so I mentioned I saw her on TV the other night on an old Family Feud Celebrity Edition rerun, and she told me some backstage stories from that show, and we went on from there and had a nice little chat.
                Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 19, '19, 1:35 PM.

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I haven't met many celebrities and sadly most are no longer with us.

Buster Crabbe-a very nice guy.

Richard Kiel-I think he was having as much fun as his fans. He obviously enjoyed posing for photos that emphasized his height or acting menacing.

Forrest J. Ackerman-a great guy. He was like talking to any other fan.

Martin Landau-a true gentleman who appreciated his fans. I was able to have a nice long chat with him about his career and I felt like he would have been happy to talk even longer.

Caroline Munro-an extremely gracious lady and another person who truly appreciates her fans.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Ben Chapman...got to meet the Creature twice and he was just super nice.

Erin Gray...lovely woman with lots of stories to tell.

Joyce DeWitt....another lovely woman who actually hit on me! LOL

Adam West...got to talk to him for about fifteen minutes. SUPER cool guy.

Henry Silva...very charming and was so happy that people remembered him.

Don Stroud...helluva nice down to earth guy.

John Saxon...another super nice down to earth guy.

Mark Goddard...friendly and genuinely happy to meet his fans.

Butch Patrick...was slightly drunk, but hysterically funny. Was telling stories about trips to Vegas strip joints.

Michael Rosenbaum...super cool guy who just wants to hang out with you.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

None of these are from Cons, but they are just some fun stories around cool celebs

Julie Andrews taught me how to make coffee.
                      I was an intern at ABC News and came in early to our bureau to set up a remote interview for Good Morning America. Ms Andrews asked for some coffee, but I was too embarrassed to admit I didn't know how to use the coffee maker (I didn't drink coffee. Still don't). I poured the water directly over the grounds in the filter (I thought maybe it was like tea) and they went everywhere! Just then, she peaked in the kitchen and saw the mess I had made. She was amazingly sweet when I admitted I had never made coffee before. She grabbed some paper towels, helped clean off the counter and then showed me where the water goes versus the grounds. I couldn't believe how kind she was.

The Beastie Boys
                      Just before they hit it big, I got to interview them for my little 110-watt college radio station. They were a lot of fun. Fast forward to the post-release of License to Ill. They are now touring with Run DMC and playing The Spectrum (Philly's pro hockey/basketball arena). At the radio station, we were used to getting on guest lists for small underground band shows, but we decided to try for the Beasties. Their management said sure but when we went to pick up our tickets there were no tickets. There were backstage passes. The band remembered us and said how thankful they were that we gave them promo "back then." I asked Mike D what it was like to go from "back then" to having a number 1 album. He said it's f*&%ing awesome! Let me show you. He had me and my friends grab an armful of concert t-shirts and go with him out to the crowd. We spent the next 10 minutes just throwing free t-shirts to the crowd. D said this is what it's like!

Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers
                      I used to book shows for my university and then handled hospitality. We booked RHCP back in '88 when they were only big on college radio. I had to go meet the band in town to guide them to the concert site. They were in a big RV. As we got close to the location, Flea was driving when he spotted two girls on the street and said, "Look. Blondes, just like California." I thought he was being a jerk when he pulled over and asked them where is Parks Mall. They told him just make a right and then another right. He said, "Thanks, my bands playing. You should come see us." We drove on but rather than take the 2nd right, he circled back around to the girls and asked again, "Do you know where Parks Mall is?" This time they ignored him and he answered their silence with, "Thanks, my bands playing. You should come see us." He thought this was hilarious so went around the block again. This when asked for directions, one of the girls responded "F*&% OFF!" To which he said, "Thanks, my bands playing. You should come see us." The girls left by the 4th time we went around.

Bernadette Peters
                      She was apparently good friends with legendary New York anchor Bill Beutel. When he passed away, I charged with producing his memorial and started collecting interviews with his friends. Peters came to our station for the interview but news broke out and all of our photographers were on the streets. Rather than complain like she would've been within her right to do, she sat in our newsrooms for hours, waiting for a photog to free up. She felt Bill was too important to her not to say something in tribute. I used my coffee-making skills to keep her caffeinated and sat with her when I could. She couldn't have been more understanding. Plus, I will admit a bit of crush back in the 80's.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

^Those are awesome stories.

I've met a number of NBA players. I was waiting for Doc Rivers once and in walks this small guy in a cap. It's George Carlin. I was like 15. We start talking about his old comedy albums, which I loved at the time. Very nice unassuming guy.

In Vegas we were having lunch with my dad's friend, and a few minutes into it he waves Jerry Lewis over to join us after his racquetball game. I forgot about that happening for years. All I could talk to him about was Hardly Working. My brother said I asked him if he was friends with Bud and Lou. Funny in retrospect.

Tommy Tune is as if Ted Cassidy became Liberace. Brightest Teeth I have ever seen.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Meet Chuck Norris back in 1988, he was autographing his autobiography and what a great guy, we shook hands and he asked how I was doing and thanked me for buying his book and apologized that I had to stand outside in the rain to wait to see him. He was only supposed to be signing for 2 hours but stayed until everyone waiting got to meet him, I think he was there another 2 hours longer than he should have been.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Sep 27, 2010

always got the vibe Chuck Norris is a real good guy.

Comment

• MegoMonk
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 22, 2007

Ive met a number of celebrities at Chiller Theatre and other shows. Celebs at shows can be much friendlier if you meet them at a show vs. in public. About 20 years ago, I got a picture and autograph from Al Lewis. He was very friendly, put his arm around me for the picture. Another time he was standing on the corner of Wall Street and Water Street, outside my job at the time. My co-worker and I tried to talk to him. He was not too friendly.
                              Otherwise as other people noted Richard Kiel was a wonderful. Anthony Daniels I also remember being extra nice at the shows.

One memory I have was at a SuperMega Show in NJ about 20 years ago. My friend and I had a dealer table in one of the rooms. We had a corner table that was diagonally across from a table of celebrities. Bernie Koppel was at the end, wearing his white Love Boat jacket. Any time he did not have anyone in line for pics/autographs he kept glaring at me with a really surly look on his face. Not sure why Doc from the Love Boat disliked me so much.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Great thread!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎