X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

1990s Toy Rot

In the last few years I've noticed quite a few of my 90s toys have been aging worse than some of my vintage toys. White plastics seem to yellow easier on some of these and the worst issue I've encountered is some of the fake leather used at that time is rotting. I know I've seen people talking about these latex bits on Marvel Famous Covers line figures, but now I noticed one of my 1996 Anniversary G.I. Joe's jackets is crumbling to pieces.

It's not super valuable, but it displayed nicely and now I might have to retire him because I don't want little brown flakes of goo all over my stuff.

Not the greatest pic, but if you know the effect you can see the flaking on his jacket:

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm afraid to look at my 9" Hasbro Aquaman and some of my Joes...
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I've had some of my custom fodder 9 inch DC figures clothes just start to get all baggy for no reason, especially the black parts of GL's suit.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Oh the $75 RAH figures you get for $8 in Japan now, I have some.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

^The little ones? I collected the 12" Classic and RAH ones.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Or do you mean Real Action Heroes?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I've had bad luck with 90s Barbie pleather. But I think the worst offenders of 90s toy rot is McFarlane toys. Absolute junk.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Or do you mean Real Action Heroes?
                I had those, too--but I was referring to the 12" Real American Heroes.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  I've had bad luck with 90s Barbie pleather. But I think the worst offenders of 90s toy rot is McFarlane toys. Absolute junk.
                  Which ones? I didn't even know McFarlane used any soft goods, or is it the all plastic figures?

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

Kenner Robin Hood is pretty bad.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      Which ones? I didn't even know McFarlane used any soft goods, or is it the all plastic figures?
                      The pleather on their KISS figures held up poorly but I meant their plastic in general. It tends to break and crumble over time. I apologize for not being clearer.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        The pleather on their KISS figures held up poorly but I meant their plastic in general. It tends to break and crumble over time. I apologize for not being clearer.
                        No problem...good to know. I've been thinking about getting some of their monster figures.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I can't imagine most of DC Direct's early output is going to stand the test of time. I've had parts just fall of figures that weren't that old.

I really wonder what's going to happen to my Hot Toys Bale and Keaton Batman figures eventually. Oy. My Captain America: First Avenger shield flaked with a simple touch of a Swiffer duster a few years back. Heart-wrenching.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I can't imagine most of DC Direct's early output is going to stand the test of time. I've had parts just fall of figures that weren't that old.

I really wonder what's going to happen to my Hot Toys Bale and Keaton Batman figures eventually. Oy. My Captain America: First Avenger shield flaked with a simple touch of a Swiffer duster a few years back. Heart-wrenching.

Chris
                            Yep. I've also seen several examples of Mezco One:12 figures with rubbery suits already beginning to crack and peel. I'm not collecting any of that high end stuff anymore. My good old Toy Biz five POA figures are as good as the day I bought them.

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              Ahh - I recently threw a Plastic Man from that line in the trash. The removable mask split at the seam and fell off almost instantly (I don't even understand the concept of making Plastic Man's mask removable, did he ever once take it off?) and recently the rest of him started falling apart.

This is the one I had to trash:
                              Last edited by Brazoo; Aug 19, '19, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎