Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Did You Go From Playing To Collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    Does that mean you have your childhood Megos? That is a rare treat a few members here enjoy.
    Yeah, I still have my original 8: Spider-man, Superman, Batman, Robin, Green Arrow, Iron Man, Kirk, and McCoy. I even have the boxes for GA and Robin because I had wrapped them in paper towels and used them as couches in the cardboard headquarters I made. I think if there was a fire in my house, I'd grab those 8 over all the other more pricey stuff I have.

Blog Entries
    I would say around 7th grade it all started to just fade. Return of the Jedi had me buy a few random figures that just mainly collected dust. I stopped buying GI Joes but still read the comic, pretty sure i bought a He-Man the previous year but the cartoon made me realize it was skewed too young.

Eighth grade I got into SF paperbacks picking up the odd LJN D&D minature (which seemed less like a toy) but I remember still liking toys, just not playing with them. Video games were my main obsession at this point. I don't think I bought a single toy in the eighth grade.

Ninth grade I veered into collecting SF merchandise starting with a Talking Dalek out of Starlog, I kept gravitating towards the toys, around tenth grade I collected and bought sci-fi toys, mainly action figures and vehicle diecast. 1999, Trek and Ape Mego figures began to be of interest. I did buy some Kenner Super Powers but i just put them on my desk, I also bought the "V" doll off the shelf, had to have it.

Mego Superheroes happened around tenth grade but i still didn't consider them "toys". It was the 11th grade when i found a stack of old catalogs featuring Big Jim PACK that just made me a toy collector.

I stopped playing with toys at a very young age. Then I just naturally morphed into flying Estes rockets and racing RC cars. Well, that’s sort of playing I suppose. Love building models too...something I still do in fact.

Images
    Yesterday.
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Images
    I had a hiatus from playing between "getting a girlfriend" and "having kids" but now I'm back sitting on the floor playing with my children.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

We're supposed to stop playing with them?

6th grade was about it for me. I had to sell all of my Mego stuff when we moved the summer before 7th grade. It seems I had a much longer hiatus then everyone here. It wasn't until 2001 when I was sitting in the theater watching Burton's Planet Of The Apes that I recalled my love of POTA Mego gear. I went home and promptly purchased a POTA treehouse on ebay and it took off from there.

I pretty much stopped playing with toys in the 4th grade—age 10 in 1980. Well at least action figures. I got a bunch of ESB figures for my 10th birthday. Thought they were cool but they mostly didn’t get played with. I got into toy collecting at age 22–in 1992. A girlfriend had gifted me a Mego Ursus (she had seen me gasp when we’d seen it at a flea market!) I’ve been collecting ever since. There was a time in late 90s/early 00s that I got out and sold everything. But couldn’t stay away and started back up in 2003 (joining the ‘Museum soon after)....