X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Space:1999 Rack Toys

This week's toy-ventures takes a look at the merchandising from Gerry Anderson's classic series Space:1999, particularly the lower cost "Rack Toys" made by Azrak-Hamway International.

If moonbase Alpha had a drugstore, these are the toys it would sell!

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

PlaidStallions Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallionsdotcom/

Plaidstallions facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY..._as=subscriberFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Nice one. It enlightened me, since I’m not very familiar with “Space 1999.” I think I was just a little to young, back then, and missed the boat on it.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I had no idea so many toys were licensed from the show. I was too distracted by the multitude of superhero toys back then. I remember my brother watching the show, but I was never that interested outside his giant Mattel Eagle. He also had a couple of the Dinky ships.

I was surprised to hear these got you into toy collecting. Not because of the toys but more surprised there was a period for you between playing with toys and collecting them. I had always assumed you were one of the kids who simply transitioned from one to the other, without ever having a toy-less period in your life.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Great video. I still haven't seen a single episode of Space: 1999, despite it being in my orbit for years. I saw it advertised in comics, and on Power Records, but I never saw the show. It never ran in my area that I'm aware of.

I love the parachutists, and particularly that card art with the nice bust of Martin Landau looking back over his shoulder!

I briefly owned the bigger Remco stun gun, which I won at Mego Meet one year. I gladly sold it to someone who could appreciate it more than a neophyte like myself!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• tay666
          Career Member
          • Dec 27, 2008

Very cool episode. Love all that stuff.
          Sadly never saw any of it where I grew up. I would have noticed too, as I loved the show.
          Only thing I ever got was the big Eagle playset, and almost bought the flying model rocket but ended up getting something else instead.

I see all these cool rack toys that you post, and most of it I never saw as a kid.
          All the stuff in the stores around here were just generic.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎