X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Buck Rogers Land Rover

This week we focus on an underrated item and a favourite of mine, the Buck Rogers Land Rover vehicle. This was actually used on the series and is a pretty cool toy. We had our first casualty on the set of Vintage Mego, more details on that in the video. Visit the Mego Museum Buck…

More...
  • Palifan
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 18, 2016

Another great vid and although I only own a few of the mocs I've always been a fan of this series since growing up with the weekly show in the UK. As a Star Wars fan I was desperate for anything sic-fi on TV at this time and this show fitted in well. I don't actually remember this toy line at all though even though we probably did get it over here and I know if I had known about this when the series aired it would have been a big hit with me.

I love the fact that Mego would stick so closely to the show vehicles and try to release something that not only looked right but a child could enjoy playing with.

Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

That's a great vehicle--I was not aware of it. I only had a few figures and the Marauder when I was a kid.

Thanks for another enjoyable video. Poor Buck.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Informative and interesting as per usual. Thanks, Brian!

I don’t recall the Land Rover. I remember the ships, but not specific ones. What I remember about the line are the figures and that they were quite popular.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• starsky
          veteran member
          • Aug 26, 2007

cool segment! i also didnt realize the land rover was even made when i was a kid. i only and still have the starfighter. eventually picked up the land rover as an adult collector. surprised at how cool it was!

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

I thought this was going to be the Micronauts vehicle with Buck branding they released. I can't say I remember the van here from either the toy line or the tv show.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i believe it only appeared once, in the pilot movie, when Wilma rescues Buck and Twiki in the old city

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

It makes a longer appearance in "Flight of the War witch" in Bronsan Canyon no less.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

I was especially touched by the tribute at the end of the video.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Another great video! This looks like a fun toy. Reminds me a lot of the Filmation version of MOTU's Attak Trak, which of course came several years later. For some reason Filmation completely changed the design of the vehicle to look more like an RV on treads, similar to this.

Poor Buck. This serves to remind everyone that Hasbro lifted the G.I. Joe: RAH design from Mego, though!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Really neat toy that I have no memory of ever seeing in stores. Would have been a fun vehicle to use with Mattel's BSG figures too.
                      Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 13, '19, 10:19 PM.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, BG had a similar vehicle in the pilot movie

Comment

• Klosterheim
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 23, 2013

Very cool video.

That is an amazing toy!

I guess it could double as the Battlestar Galactica land vehicle as well.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

Didnt Logans Run have a similar truck in the TV series? Probably all just a fiberglass shell thrown over a stripped down ford pickup.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

The Logan's Run Solar Car was actually a pretty complicated Dean Jefferies build that actually involved hydraulics to simulate a hover effect, it's not related to the Land Rovers.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎