Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phaser one - does (or will) Mego make one?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Treadwell
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 31, 2018

I'm a big prop nerd. Trigger was definitely on the bottom.

Comment

• MEGO Kid
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 5, 2018

The trigger was on the bottom, which always bothered me after I learned about it. Why would you put a trigger on the same side the weapon attaches to your belt?

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

I've already lost the Type 1 phaser that came with my Scotty figure, and Mego hasn't made either one yet.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Lonnie, I believe those drawings are from the Starfleet Technical Manual... which as I understand it, was never sanctioned, and contain other discrepancies.

I always believed that the "trigger" was on the top. In TNG, that is clearly where it is located. But the more I research it, the more it appears that TOS intended for the trigger to be on the bottom.

Some good discussion on the topic here:

Along with no trigger guard, the phaser pistol had no sights. I wonder how hard it would be to shoot accurately. (When seconds count, your redshirt...

As some of you may, or may not, know, the TOS type-1 phaser had its firing trigger on the bottom. This button is present on the original working prop,...

I think somewhere in one of those threads, someone theorizes that maybe you need to activate the controls on the top and bottom *together* to fire. This would seem to track when you consider that spinning the top wheel activates the light on the hero props, which was used to help animate the actual beam. While perhaps not canon, I think that is an explanation of the bottom trigger than sits better.

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

First - excuse my Trek ignorance. I did not realize that a Phaser 2 was really a modification/accessory/power pack or whatever for the phaser 1.

If the trigger is on top as shown in the pics Lonnie posted, how does the phaser 2 trigger fire it? I see in the first of the 2 diagrams it doesn't even indicate there is anything on the bottom to be actuated by the phaser 2.

A few of you say teh trigger is on the botto, which contradicts the diagrams. So what's teh stuff on teh top?

And back to the original question - when will mego make the phaser 1?

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Just read the second thread sprites posted.

Good discussion.

In the end - I would say it is a show and not everything was completely thought through. But in retrospect the best explanation is that the trigger is on teh bottom but a second action was required on top.

Which leads to the diagrams Lonnie posted. Basically they were not accurate. But I would never have noticed had we (and the other forum) not discussed it as though these things were real.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Treadwell
                I'm a big prop nerd. Trigger was definitely on the bottom.
                I hope Trigger was on the bottom, Roy Rogers was on top..(wait that doesn't sound right)

Comment

• DC_Guy
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Sep 18, 2008

I see what you did there.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡