Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy-Ventures: AHI Super Monsters Bend 'Ems!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: AHI Super Monsters Bend 'Ems!

Toy-Ventures this week is all about the World Famous Super Monsters Bend 'Ems line by Azrak-Hamway International.

Frankenstein, the Wolfman, Dracula, King Kong, the Mummy, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon rounds out this wonderfully designed series of low-cost figures from 1975!

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

Check out our AHI galleries at
    www.azrakhamway.com

PlaidStallions Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallionsdotcom/

Plaidstallions facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2226244254053126/

Twitter: @plaidstallions

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY..._as=subscriberFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Fun and very informative!

I believe that I had the Dracula Bend Em.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

That was a great video, Brian. I my Creech.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^I love the "LIFE" watermark in the corner! Nice touch! It proves he DID have red lips!!!

Great video Brian. The Bend-Ems are something I have rarely bumped into out in the wild. The Halloween-ish designs really appeal to me, though.

I often thought Werewolf by Night borrowed quite a bit from Aurora's Wolf Man model kit, with his no shirt look, and then maybe AHI borrowed a bit of both back. That card art looks like something straight from Ploog's WBN for sure, as does the Dracula look very redrawn Gene Colan!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

I wanted the 8" Creature back in the day after seeing him once at Zayres, but my parents could never find him again. They got me this Creature as a consolation. He's stored away somewhere in the house.

Cool seeing all these guys; I don't remember seeing all of them on the pegs back in the day.

Comment

• newlyknighted
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 21, 2010

What is there not to like when it comes to AHI monster toys? My favorite is the 8" Frankensteins' Monster. I wish the 8" Creature was affordable on the secondary market. I would like to get one someday.

I don't understand why the lawsuits were dropped against AHI for the POA line of apemen. Were they only produced for a short time, and then production stopped due to those two lawsuits?

I have never owned a jiggler, and do not remember ever seeing them as a kid. They look cool though. I wonder how many people had them dangling from their rear view mirror?
            I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

In 1985, I worked in a store called The Last Wound-Up that exclusively sold... you guessed it... wind-up toys. One of the most popular ones was that sparking Godzilla. I don't know if it was still made by AHI at that time, but we also sold the sparking Kong and Creach. (Creach and Kong- I can see the parody movies now).

My favorite AHI Monsters are the jigglers. I especially love the little Fay Wray in Kong's hand. Strangely, I never liked the 8" AHI Monsters as a kid. I think I always felt I was getting a cheap, Mego knock-off. Ironic, considering Mego was the one knocking off the Universal license.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Is it wrong to like the bendies more than the figures?
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Very cool

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡